Friday, July 10, 2009

What do you do?

At an appointment yesterday, the question of "What do you do on your lunch hour?" came up. I was a little taken aback - I mean, after all, I am a Type-A personality woman. As a tall girl, I make an impression when I walk into the room. As a smart girl, I can hold my own with the most challenging of client or coworker or relation. As a pretty girl, I make the occasional head turn. I work and I work hard and I work a lot.

What the heck is lunch hour? And who actually takes one these days?

Let's take a step back in time. The year is 1988. I'm the front desk receptionist at Marx/Knoll, Denight & Dodge Advertising in Portland. We have space in a funky but high end building. I was expected to look like someone walking out of a fashion magazine (pretty funny for a tall, skinny, geeky 19 year old). I had the short hair, expensive outfits and perfect nails. I had the attitude - nobody got past me without my permission. I even had the back-up - I got to leave my desk at 10am and at 3pm for 15 minute breaks. I got a half hour lunch, usually at 12:00 noon.

I'd walk through downtown, shop at Nordstrom, call a friend from an empty office. There were no car phones, cell phones, text messages, emails. It was a much simpler and often lonelier world. But I got my lunch break and I took a break from work every single day.

It has been a while since I held an office job. Looking back, I think I took a lunch break maybe once a week, and only because I had things that had to be done during the 7am-6pm timeframe that saw me at my desk. I thought I was Wonder Woman (I can bring home the bacon... fry it up in a pan...) I thought I was doing everyone a favor. If I worked that hard, if I sacrificed my lunch hour to make sure my work got done (especially as we cut my department from 5 people to two) I would be indispensable.

Until the day they kicked me to the curb. None of that stuff really matters. A boss that expects and demands long hours, skipped lunches and your firstborn is not a good boss. Those things they asked of me are illegal in my state, by the way. They can't keep me from taking an hour's lunch, if I'm at the office from 8-5, no matter how busy we are.

When I start this new job, there will be rules and boundaries and expectations in place. If I'm at the office for 9 hours, I will take an hour off for lunch. If I work at home, I will take an hour off the work I'm doing. Now, I can't promise I'm not going to do laundry or walk the dog or do any other myriad of chores, but I will take a lunch. I WILL.

What do you do at lunch?

16 comments:

  1. ummm... lunch is a vast domain, some days i move mountains, some days i wish for a nap :)
    lately i take my hour and eat my veggies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! They will love you anyhow. It will be nice for you to work for someone nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has been a year since i took lunch. Coming back part time does not give the luxury of time away yet and i am busy, but the day will come. I will go on walks like I did, have lunch in different places, talk to people, meet new people, do my banking, have coffee, go to the mall or target.
    That is what I will do....soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We get a half hour unpaid lunch every day. When I was new, they would try to overload the noobs in order to get us to work through lunch to get finished. I don't work for free and I would never do it, no matter how they tried to bully me, and in the end there was nothing they could do, it's in our contracts.

    I still take a lunch every day. I love the chance to relax and eat something, and i also like to read. It's great to lose myself in a novel, or in the Life section of the newspaper for a little while.

    We aren't required to take our lunch. We can skip it and go home a half hour sooner, but I nearly always take mine. Today i was the only one--the only one!--clocking out at the later time. I don't care. That's MY time and it isn't for sale. Taking that half hour break keeps me saner and healthier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just realized I forgot to answer the question. Usually I work through it and eat at my desk...at lucky times, I meet you at Bay Leaf! When I can't stand the office anymore, I sneak out for yummy cheap Thai food made by a family from Vietnam.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are absolutely right. I've done the routine where I thought if I worked hard enough I'd be indispensable and like you learned the hard way that no one is indispensable. Take that lunch hour and enjoy it. Indulge yourself a little with a favorite snack, or reading your getaway novel of the week or just a walk in the sunshine. Life is too short not to give ourselves a little enjoyment every day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I only have a 30 mins lunch break and usually I packed my sandwich or salad so I tend to just sit and quickly browse the papers ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't worked in over 7 years but when I did, I always took a lunch break. I often just walked around downtown Chicago. Sometimes, I ate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anyone who doesn't believe you need a break (and will be better for it) does not deserve you, and in my opinion, is a slave driver.

    I'd hate to work for someone who doesn't understand the importance of breaking for lunch.

    Of course, when something important comes up and you must work through lunch, I don't have a problem with that. I have a problem with making a habit of that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is that you in the picture? My God, you look like a model!

    Anyway, I'm a SAHM. I am unfamiliar with these "breaks" of which you speak.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I work in an emergency room. Sometimes I get lunch, sometimes I don't. It comes with the territory,
    you learn to bring "portable" food. Like M&M's, Cheeze Its, Little Debbie cakes, freakish orange colored puffs of air, etc...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've always been my own boss, so I have lunch when I like! My life has never been very structured, which suits me.

    Is that you?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used to read but these days, I skip it unless the boss is there...he makes me take it. But as near as I can tell, since my job is over the minute the work is done, the longer lunch I take, the later I leave. Since that is usually 3 or 4 in the morning...why push it back? I take 5 or 10 minutes to grab a quick bite, then am back at it. Long breaks sap my energy and an hour lunch adds 3 or 4 hours to my night. Counter intuitive...but true.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, that's a photo of me from 1987, the year I started working. Great Lady Di haircut, huh?

    I like it that lots of people take breaks. I also understand why Darth and many others don't. If it made my day longer, I'd just skip it!

    Great comments...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the Lady Di look ;)

    hmmm what do I do at lunch. I guess I fantasize about what I would like to be doing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. During my lunch, I basically sit there wondering why the day was only half over...hahaha

    ReplyDelete