Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Jetsam


I float in the water, weightless, awaiting the verdict.

In pirate lore, the call of "parlay" allows an innocent to speak with the pirate captain to beg for mercy, their life, or a swift death instead of the plank.

I cried parlay in my sleep, you tell me. "What are you wishing for?"

I wish, in my dreams, for little fingers, perfectly formed, gripping mine strongly. I wish for the moments when he cries in his sleep, which are rare, and I walk up to listen for his breathing. I listen so softly because his breath comes quietly, peacefully, and it can be felt more than heard. He smells like Johnson's Baby Shampoo and slightly sour milk. He smells of innocence.

I wish, in my life, for one minute to hold on to things that I have lost. For stronger memories that don't fade over time. For an instant replay of the moment my world collapsed. I could fix it if I could just go back. Instead of "get out of my sight" I would say "let's sit down and talk." I could change the course of events, if only I had that one moment back.

So I whisper "parlay" and hope for a captain with a heart not made of coal and barbed wire.

Instead, I find you, sitting on the lounge chair. Staring at me as though I'm crazy. Again. "Who do you think will listen? Who will answer when you say something so asinine?"

I pull myself slowly from the water. I look at you with steel and ice and malice and anger. "Who will listen?" I take a long pull of breath into my lungs. "I will listen. And I'm the one who matters."

For parlay to be effective, you have to believe in what it is you ask. Anything less and the pirates will know. They will sense your unease. They will destroy you.

The jetsam floats silently across the water as the broken boards and kegs of brandy float away from the wreckage. This time, parlay saved the innocent. Sometimes the magic works.

9 comments:

  1. Some powerful imagery there.And you seem to always find such great imagery to go with it. well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel...Your last 2 posts were beautifully written. This week is draining me of commenting cleverness...sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't understand what this is about exactly, but I'm not sure I need to. It's sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, I really like this one. After all, jetsam is things thrown off a ship to lighten it during an emergency. (flotsam being wreckage) One of the neatest things about you, to me, is the unique way your mind and heart come up with things. It sounds to me like the man in the lounge chair has all the imaginative range of a wooden barrel. Into the drink with him! Arrrrr, here's your parrot, PG, there's booty out there and you will find it!

    Ok, I can't resist this:

    shake shake shake
    shake shake shake
    shake your bootyyyy

    LOL, sorry. I had to say it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't find an appropriate comment so I will just say, FB, OMG! Hyacinth would DEFINITELY NOT approve ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...such incredibly written posts these last few days...you are so gifted.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your last two posts have shown a different side of your writing. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very powerful and moving ... I was there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know you had all that poetry bottled up inside of you...and btw, I miss those baby shampoo/sour milk days, too. ;)

    PS - Funny you should mention "pirate" today of all days.

    ReplyDelete