Monday, July 13, 2009

Coincidence

Do you ever have moments when you wonder "How did that happen?" You know, an unusual word or a non-typical concept will come up three different times in one day.


It always makes me think of this movie, one of my favorites of all time.

A name has suddenly begun appearing all over my world of late. It's a more common name but it has appeared in uncommon places - attached to the place I live, the place I'm going to work and to the place I've been working for a while. It relates to certain people, too. It's like the universe is trying to tell me something to make this name show up constantly, out of the blue. It's kind of random to say the least.

Speaking of random, and on a completely different subject, my second favorite line from this movie discusses the fact that the more you drive, the less intelligent you are. Hmmm. Driving makes people stupid. Well, I can confirm that it makes people angry, at least around here. I just read that Oregon has the 3rd highest rate of road rage in the US. Cool. That actually came up in conversation - three separate times - on Friday. I had to go research it to see if it was true.

And I didn't even do a lot of acid in college...

13 comments:

  1. Hmmmmmmmmmmm........... I do a lot of driving - what does that say about me? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is quite ironic, too. Prior to all the tech and shoe companies coming here, Oregon was a very pleasant place to drive.

    When I first started, people were courteous, used their signals, etc. But then we got all the imports from other states to get the high-paying Intel and Nike type jobs and yeah, it pretty well sucks out there now.

    I attribute it to people from a variety of states bringing the habits of their states here and those habits not meshing well with the habits incoming from other states; example, when I lived in Denver, I noted that no fewer than 2 - 3 cars would run a yellow light and almost as often as not, at least one would run a red. Should you fail to accelerate (illegally, I might point out) through a yellow light, the ensuing result was lots of honking and single-finger salutes.

    That is something I now see here which never used to be. I could point to the habits off-hand of at least a couple other states that we see now...the maniacal lane-weaving/no turn-signal using routine, for one...that never used to be here but arrived with the imports...but I won't.

    I also know all the imports blame the Oregonians just as we blame them. On the bright side....I was here first, so I have the truth of experience behind me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it's the name I'm thinking of, I'm going to laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I notice that sort of synchronicity in the books I read. One book will have some minor but unusual detail in common with the next one I read. It's weird, I've noticed it for years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's the name? I want the rest of this story.
    I drive a lot. That's not good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Repo Man. I did a whole week worth of posts on this movie last summer. Weird.

    What is the name that keeps coming up? You have to let us know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I drive a great deal too, so I'm getting worried.

    I've always found that whenever I've bought a new car, all I see on the roads after that, is the same car.

    I think that's just heightened awareness, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well a person, who I go out with and have not seen for a while, has suddenly been appearing in unusal places. I am xcordial, but why now.
    As to drivers, There is something about the speed of life or living (or not) that had picked up and it is bad in CT now also.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe it's a sign from above...like God is trying to tell us something...only instead of road rage, he meant road TRIP.

    Yes, that's it. We're destined to go on a road trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhh Cinematic Philosophizing....

    Priceless!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Classic, classic movie!

    I don't believe in random. Much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always thought Oregon is really laid back. Who knew!

    ReplyDelete