Sunday, July 26, 2009

Until the novelty wears off

Oh, my. I have a friend that used this line as her parting remark in an email. She had just had her heart soundly broken - for the second time - by someone she loves. She feels hurt and betrayed and sad. But this time she decided enough is enough.

When do we say enough already?

"Someone will love me, for longer than until the novelty wears off, and it won't be like pulling teeth." Sage words, darling friend. Very true indeed.

I joke frequently that you only get once chance with me. Off with your head if you don't behave nicely. Hmmm... if only that were the truth. Instead, I have a tendency to let people treat me poorly - repeatedly - before I finally send in the clowns.

Do you have something difficult to do but you know you have to do it? Follow my lead and don a protective suit of armor. Imagine yourself surrounded by your friends, wielding pitchforks, and get it over with. Picture yourself in an asbestos suit, impeneterable by even the sharpests remarks. Or clowns. Clowns are a little scary. Surround yourself with clowns and tell that man/woman/coworker/boss/teenager exactly how you feel.

And if they aren't nice, maybe the clowns will eat them.





For SS - and the black eyed susans, too!

13 comments:

  1. I completely agree; I often fancy myself more of a bad a** but end up letting too many of the bad ones stay. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sound real similar to my post today! Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd rather surround myself with leggy, energetic Can Can Dancers.

    Those high kicks can be very dicey!

    Just a thought....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your friend is right as rain. Sometimes, enough is enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. G-Man! Behave! :-D

    The wonderful thing about what Goddess has done with life (or, "the continuing ordeal" as i like to call it) is that She has divided it into hours, days, weeks, months, years. And so there is always another chance to do it again, do it differently, do it with fewer feck-ups. And as I go through life (or, My Comedy Of Errors, as I like to call it), it's a little like going through a funhouse...I only see things in bent mirrors from a shifting floor. It's hard to know which way is the right way, let alone have any idea at all how the whole scene looks to somebody else. But I do love your idea of dressing yourself in the protection of those who love you...and asbestos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some days donning a suit of armor sounds right, but for the most part I like to err on the side of vulnerable..and forgiving..and good 'ole benefit of the doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's a blogosphere parallel going on today. This is a theme I'm seeing. We must be extremely careful about who we trust and who we let in. I deliberately test people. That probably sounds cruel but it's really the only way to find out before it's too late after your heart's been broken.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel so out of the loop, although I figured out which of our friends this was before the last bit.

    It's so hard to quit loving someone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a universal problem...heartache from those we allow into our hearts.

    You, like me, are a friend to those who are hurting and I love how you stand up for them, write for them, and help them heal.

    You are an awesome friend with sound advice. I'm glad and thankful that you're YOU! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have allowed people to treat me poorly repeatedly as well. If I could change only one thing about myself...

    ReplyDelete
  11. that novelty bit is indicative of one of the issues with out romantic paradigm today. Nonsense like "feeling the spark" and such have replaced genuine commitment, willingness to work through the inevitable problems and so forth with the willingness to find the next new and therefore fresh, exciting, novel bit.

    Reminds me of the Frasier episode where he gets 3 dates, every time one starts giving a toast "to possibilities" only to have them go horribly awry.

    Yet still being excited over "possibilities". TIme for people to grow up and realize possibilities doesn't mean a never-ending ride on the Ferris Wheel (or whatever Carnival amusement takes your fancy) but rather a rugged trip full of highs and lows interspersed with a huge number of quite unremarkable days.

    Novelty flees swiftly during those days and it is then people discover if they actually, truly give a flying fig or not.

    Too often the answer is not.

    Way to go, Weasel, way to be the life of the party!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We know very soon into a relationship about the other person. If we cannot say this person is 100% trustworthy, 100% honorable as in honoring commitments, 100% willing to protect us and laugh with us, then we need to move on before it is only hanging on. I am not a good example because I kept finding and even recycling some of the same bad boys until I found the good boy. There are good people out there.

    ReplyDelete