Sunday, June 21, 2009

You mean I have to CHOOSE?

Choices can be challenging for me. I spend a lot of time making things happen - I'm in perpetual motion. Due to that fact, I am rarely in a position where I am moving slowly enough to actually have to choose between two or more like opportunities. Except maybe choosing a gelato, and all I have to do is taste to find a winner.

"If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise."

~Robert Fritz


Ouch. My life has been full of compromise and sometimes very little happiness. I have often done things simply because they were the opportunities that presented themselves at a given time. It didn't always work out well.

I have lived life these past couple years by a shoestring, bailing water, making choices based on the needs of the many (the family) instead of the needs of the few or the one (that'd be me). And my choices have brought me here to a very, very large crossroads.


I spent the day yesterday wandering through downtown Portland and photographing interesting architecture. I wasn't in the mood to photograph people on the street, though, even though that had been my original intention. I saw a couple opportunities and decided it just wasn't in me to save those moments in effigy. But I did find out a little bit about myself.

I know what I want.

All sorts of famous people over time have been quoted to say that the biggest part of making a difficult decision is deciding what you want. Everything else should line up properly once you know what it is you want.

If only it were that simple.

Character flaw #1: I do for others. Lots. I'm usually the one making most of the effort and sacrifices and I work really hard to have happy and healthy relationships with all the people in my world. Self-sacrifice can turn around and bite you in the ass when everyone is used to that. I created this monster myself.

Character flaw #2: I'm a Capricorn. As such, I don't take leaps into the unknown without the proper research and a large vat of calamine lotion for those nasty insects you run into on safari. And enough bottled water to survive the end of the world. Sometimes I think I spend so much time THINKING about how I'm going to handle any issues and then HANDLING the issues so I don't really get to live. Not with Joy, anyway. Not with Bliss. Note all the capital letters. These are very important things to me. I was this way even before I had kids, it just got more complicated when they were added to the mix. The running joke in my circle of friends is that if you want to have fun, call me, unless you'd like to have fun TODAY.

Character flaw #3: This is closely related to #1. I worry about how my actions will affect anyone and everyone else. What if, what if, what if. And I try to troubleshoot the obvious, prepare for the hidden issues and basically make sure everyone in the whole world is happy. Content. Joyful. Except, of course, for me, because I'm so busy doing everything I can to make things work out for everyone else that what I want kind of falls off the earth as though it were flat.

I know what I want. It's right here, within reach, and all I have to do is adjust my attitude, my expectations and my dreams. Actually, that's not quite right. All I have to do is ask for it and it will be mine.

I know what I want.

"She crossed borders recklessly, refusing to recognize limits, saying bon jour and bon giorno as though she owned both France and Italy and the day itself."

~Kobi Yamada



Tomorrow, I will own the day

14 comments:

  1. I love the Robert Fritz quote...I think society not-so-subtley pushes kind people, especially females, to go out of their way and do too much that other people want them to do, and not consider themselves. So every once in awhile you have to say, "Fuck that!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many of your so called "character flaws" are not really flaws at all in my opinion! They are the special things that make you, you.

    Maybe it is because I can personally identify with so much of what you wrote...in that I have some of those very same traits....but, you seem to be struggling on not feeling content or joyful within yourself. It is almost as though you aren't giving yourself permission to feel those things for yourself...

    From what I can tell from your writing, you are such a real, authentic, and caring human being with a lot of spunk as well as a deep sensitivity to others. What a great combination. I have a feeling that you have touched many lives in a very positive way...

    Now, we just have to figure out how you can find those elusive feelings that you are looking for. I think that "owning the day" is a great way to start!

    Wishing you all good things...especially joy and contentment. You deserve it.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg. Beatrice is a cappy goat, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I rally relate to 1 & 2! Tho I get to the jumping in point rather easily, in most things, I do tend to be a bit shy in relationships, call it being burned too many times syndrome. Then I am a Scorpio, which is not a flaw, but a strength, so I guess I will be burned again! Good luck on your road to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You might like this:

    "There is no use trying," said Alice, "one can't believe impossible things."

    "I dare say you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

    --Lewis Carroll

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's very easy to go through life doing what other people want us to do, but much harder to do what we want.

    I love that first quote.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My daughter is a Capricorn - she amazes me in that she knows her dreams and puts in the work to get there. Her focus and dedication to her goals amazes me. I am a Virgo who takes life as it comes and chooses to follow instinct and opportunities. I help her life the journey while I hope she is helping me learn to dream and determine what it is I want. Pragmatic as I am, I have a hard time determining what Iwant... I now that it is my choice; I know that, like you, I just need ask... and yet there are silver linings to every cloud so determining the "want" becomes that much more difficult.

    Great post. I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. RK: I'm all over that! This week, I'll use my bad girl language lots to try to remind myself I'm important, too!

    Grammie: Your comment touched me deeply. Thank you for your caring words and reassurance. I know you made lots of sacrifices for your children and I know they were all worth it - just like mine.

    Blossom: Poor Bice! We cappys have a whole set of problems to deal with. And I love the quote from Alice. I always did think I was a little like her - just waiting for the bottle that said "drink me" to be able to fit through the door...

    Whitemist: Some of my favorite, most beloved friends are Scorpio. I just try give them lots of love and remember where their "line" not to cross exists - they have quite the stinger!!

    Joe: So true. I'm glad you liked the quote, it's one of my favorites. I think it needs to go on my bedroom wall!

    Exception: Thanks for visiting. I really enjoyed your comment. I am sitting here today, hoping all the choices I have to make this week show themselve clearly. I like silver linings, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rachel you are a genius blogger. This entry hit me at a perfect time. The grandchildren are gone and I sacrificed as a good granny should and the kiddos bit me in the ass at every opportunity. But tomorrow I shall own the day:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We don't want to turn into Meryl Streep in "The Bridges of Madison County," Chica!! Remember that!

    It's all about balance and taking those baby steps. You can do it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. If I didn't know better, I would think that you were describing me!

    Let's both ask for it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post! Great quotes! Great photo! enJOY today! enJOY tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my... you and me have so much in common. I'll jump if you do. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great to know what you want and go get it and seize the day!!! :)

    Note: Hey...tell me what you really want ;)

    ReplyDelete