Sunday, June 28, 2009

Truth is stranger than fiction

Sara has always been an... ummm... interesting child. I adore her, she's a heck of a lot of fun to hang with, but her early years were full of some odd moments, thanks to her anxiety disorder. I understand it now, know when to push back when she'd demanding and basically make her miserable most days. A Mom's work is never done!

However, it's difficult to explain to people what it was like when she was 5 or 6 and her bedtime ritual - which Keith and I had to actively participate in at length - was unlike anything I've experienced, before or since. He was a saint. We won't even talk about me.

Until today. Props in advance to Mr. Thompson for his stunningly spot-on portrayal of life in the Petzold house circa 1998. God, I don't miss those days.



So, those of you with kids, kiss them on the top of the head and thank them for all the good things they bring to your world. I'm kissing Sara tonight and thanking her for blue hair and music and deviantart.com. Sean gets hugged for just about everything else you can imagine. He even does the laundry. I am one very lucky Mom.

17 comments:

  1. They are very lucky to have YOU, as those of us with fucked up incumbators (read: biological mothers) know! It is one of the things I really love about you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful post of gratitude PG...Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a great Mother! That cartoon made me laugh. My 10 year old can be a bit like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, man! I'm STILL doing the bedtime ritual!

    I have something for you over at my place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, can I ever relate to the bedtime routine!

    btw, I'd love to talk to you sometime about the anxiety disorder... my son was diagnosed with one too... you made it to adolescence in one piece!! That gives me hope. In fact, I wonder if your daughter has any words of wisdom for me... or for my son... or for both of us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's what we moms are for, right? "Mom, I need to go to the bathroom, I need a drink of water, Mommmm............

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have said before, will say again, you are some Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are what a mother should be...patient, funny, loyal, loving. I could go on and on about you.

    You truly rock! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're all lucky to have each other. That's the winning dynamic.

    I am a father of three and I can honestly tell you I have kissed my kids several times a day, every day of their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  10. RK: I have stolen the term INCUBATORS and will forevermore refer to my female parental unit as one.
    G-MAN: Thanks. I love the stories about your boy - I am similar in my relationship with my 14 year old. As a matter of fact, we just discussed tattoos, thanks to you!
    Joe: Your 10 year old can come over for a sleepover anytime - we have rituals
    Mama Zen: Yep, we have our ritualistic moments, too. And thanks for the goodie - I havework to do!
    Dawn: When your chaotic life gets calmer (ha! ha ha ha! HA!!!) we'll get together for a chat and coffee in our own states.
    Cheffie-Mom: Yep! Still do all of that. And the "Mom, can I please have so-and-so over and you don't mind picking-them-up-dropping-them-off-feeding-them-sushi-from-go-fish-go-susi-treating-us-to-movies-and-can-we-please-have-pudding-at-2am??"
    Whitemist: You're some awesome guy!
    Scarlet: Thanks! I think you rock, too!
    David: Thanks for the visit. And kissing your kids. There is never enough of that in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Still got a bedtime routine here too.
    Congrats on your "lovely blog award."

    ReplyDelete
  12. PG- I think it is quite likely your hubby and daughter are very lucky to have you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "does laundry"...can you send him to our address? There is a pile waiting here for him...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on your post of the day nomination today. My partner does the laundry and all of the cooking and I am extremely grateful for that. Cleaning...not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm back. Congrats on the Post of the Day mention! Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  16. kids are so funny. cherish every moment. love the cartoon! congrats on the POTD mention!

    ReplyDelete