Monday, June 15, 2009

Crossing that bridge


"I'll cross that bridge when I come to it" has never really been top of mind for me as far as sayings go. But when is a bridge more than a bridge?

I have a lot of friends making big changes in their lives right now. I have a lot of opportunities to move forward, move past things and move on. But a bridge is more than just a way across a river sometimes. Sometimes it a path to a new beginning.

Sometimes a bridge is a window to your past, where you can think about what's happened and learn from it.

Sometimes a bridge is an opportunity to take a completely different path and change your world.

Sometimes there are two bridges that look exactly the same - but they take you across the same river to two very different places.

I have bridges to cross. And bridges have taken on a new meaning for me. When is a bridge more than a bridge? When you come to a bridge, what will you do?

7 comments:

  1. When I come across a bridge, I feel like a very dirty girl ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I come to a bridge, I like to make sure nobody has bombed it...

    Which poet was it that wrote The Road Less Traveled or the Path not Taken? The sentiments are accurate. A lot of times I suspect we would not take certain paths if we knew the outcome ahead of time even though later, looking back, despite the troubles and tribulations we are glad that was the one we took. If that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did a painting once of a broken down, dangerous looking foot bridge across a ravine in West Virginia, the other side was some ones home. I of course titled it the way home and that is what I some times feel like, that tattered brige is the only way "home"/

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will feel it in your gut if you're meant to cross that bridge or not. When you feel that staying behind is not an option, you might even jump if you can't cross it! Trust me on this one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. RK: I'm so buying you that phone number for your birthday...
    Darth: I like that thought. And even the difficult things in my life brought me to where I am today and that's a pretty happy place.
    Whitemist: What a wonderful painting that must have been.
    FB: Thank you photobucket!
    Scarlet: Ooh, I got goosebumps reading your comment. I think you're right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been staring at a bridge for a very long time now. I know I need to cross it. I know that the other side is good. What's stopping me?

    ReplyDelete