Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Where did all this stuff come from? or LIST WEEK PART II

Yesterday, to try to cure a major case of the blues, I looked through all of my old emails, searching for something special I wanted to share with someone just as special. But amidst all the silly forwarded cat jokes, the vacation snapshots (are they still called snapshots?) and the most wonderful notes from friends, I found a note from someone who irritates me to no end. But their note had a very valid question tucked amongst the sarcasm and meanness.

Where are you going to live?

I have a confession to make: I don't like stuff. I don't like clutter, knickknacks, anything I have to move to dust off the top of a shelf, the TV, in the corner. I moved from a 3600 square foot house into a 900 square foot house and brought along a large quantity of boxes that not only have yet to be unpacked, I have no clue as to what is in them. But that's OK, because I think another move is in the air. And this time, a big garage sale will be occurring at one end or the other. I have to do something with all this junk...

I love my little house. I have a great landlord, a yard that's really coming along and a beautiful view of the park. But it's just too small and it's really expensive. (*Oh, no - the kids scream - NOT ANOTHER MOVE!!!*) We only have one bathroom. My son sleeps in the family room in the basement, with concrete floors. My owner has been making noises the past month or so that he's ready to build this into the house it will become and I'm not sure I'm up to being in the midst of that kind of chaos for months.

I feel adrift, afraid to look back over my shoulder at some of the huge challenges I faced (I feel like they still are nipping at my heels). I want a place that feels like HOME, where I have my own space and can make a phone call without interruption. Where my office isn't my bed because there's no room for a desk in any quiet place. Where the kids can be kids and have friends over, be loud, and have fun and I'm not constantly whining to clean up their messes, put the game system away. And how about a place where I can play music instead of listening to TV drone on constantly?

So, in honor of list week (I just made that up. But now I have a whole week worth of blogs. Score!!) Today's list week agenda item is to make a list of what I want in my next home and what it will feel like. The way it looks isn't nearly as important as the joy it holds.

1. Room for a piano. Sara and I miss playing. I want a music room of sorts where there's room for guitars and a piano and whatever else strikes our fancy (Sara plays trumpet, too. I'm awfully good on a squeezebox - seriously.) OK, this one is negotiable, but it'll need to happen some day. A Pheromone Girl without music is an unhappy PG.

2. A TV room. The kids finally had their own space at the giant house near the lake, but it wasn't a neighborhood that worked for me. I really like this neighborhood (for the most part - the drug dealers at the park are starting to get on my nerves. Some very sad events have occurred nearby.)

3. A dining room. I miss eating at a table. I want a place to gather my friends over a nice dinner and a glass of wine or make cookies with the girls. A nice romantic dinner now and then wouldn't be bad, either.

4. A good kitchen. I have major appliance envy when I see my friend Traci's kitchen she's building, but I'd settle for a full sized gas stove instead of the camp size version I'm using right now. And how about a fridge that's not cantilevered over the basement stairs, in it's own little... um.... alcove?

5. Trees and a yard. This one is pretty self-explanatory. I have to have my hands in dirt.

6. Space for me. OK, space for each of us, actually, but I need a place I can retire to that makes me feel cocooned from the world and surrounded by peace. I've done a nice job in my current, teeny room. I admit to loving my full sized bed and I don't think I'll ever have a king sized bed again. Too huge. Too empty. Too hard to find your bed mate when you have to hike half a mile. Closeness causes the need for cuddling. Who can argue that? Unless my feet are cold...

There is one more very important thing I need in my new space. A good vibe - a feeling of good energy, good memories, good friends, lots of love. How about mistletoe to kiss under at Christmas, a good spot for the dog to sleep that's not underfoot, maybe even a nice porch on which to sit.

It's list week. What does your list look like?

11 comments:

  1. this is a good list. A move would do you good ... we all need space that we can call our own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great list! I'll have to think about mine, but I am happy with my home. My list would involve getting stuff done in the house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless you and your list!
    At this moment i my life there may be several, but one is still major, I want my sight back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha - you assume I have only one list! Virgos burden ourselves with more than one...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post. I love list week. I have to think about this one.

    I do know that a king size bed is essential. I like to cuddle... but... when it's time to sleep I need space!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to have lots of light and open space. Other than that, I'm fairly flexible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. good list. agree on the music and place to have friends over. I miss the nearly weekly bbqs we use to have with intermingling groups playing volleyball, ping-pong, pool, foosball, or N64. friends and food, pretty simple but great times. small places make that tough but hey...we do what we must. rock on

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lists are good. Ron and I made a list of what we both wanted in a house. I owned a house when we met and he did too. We lived in both but still dreamed of the various "wants" we each put on the list. When we bought this house I wanted it badly. There were a few things he did not like but he honored my strong desire. After we moved in I located our previous list from ten years before and read what each of us wanted. Sure enough, this place had it ALL. Hang in there PG and keep your list in mind always.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mark: Thanks!
    Joe: Getting stuff done in the house is always on my list
    Whitemist: That's being added to my list, too - wishing for your sighn back. That would be a very good thing.
    RK: You should see my drawer full of lists. We Capricorns like lists, too. But we like crossing things OFF our lists more!
    Dawn: Thanks! I think list week is nifty.
    MZ: Ooh, I should have added lots of light. I lived in a dark, cave-like house and hated the lack of light.
    Dsrth: I like that attitude. And I do make things work no matter where I am... I think a barbecue i in order. Wanna come?
    Annie: I LOVE your comment. It almost made me cry. See, making a list of things to wish for almost always makes them come true!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Will there be a doorbell for Fireblossom to ring when she comes visit? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the music room idea because it's my favorite room in MY house...so alive and happy, and it's actually the foyer, so you see it right away when you open the door. I have a piano, a guitar, musical notes on the walls and I'm working on a bust of Beethoven (when I get the $$$).

    Your list is awesome!! I, too, love my dining room (donated by my parents). We have candlelight dinners (with vino) all the time for no reason. It's one of my favorite rooms in the house!

    ReplyDelete