Monday, June 1, 2009

A Beautiful Day

Have you ever noticed that a really difficult day is often followed by a really good one? I had a rather bumpy weekend. Moments of peace and extreme happiness were followed by very discouraging ones. But it's the discouraging ones that we have to learn from.

I live in a place that is beautiful. But even in a beautiful place, bad things happen, sometimes to good people.

In the past week, two parents in very close proximity to my home have hurt their own children for absolutely no good reason (because is there ever a good reason to hurt your kids? No, not in my world). And that has left me with a rather large question. How, as a good parent with really lucky kids, do I find a way to help keep the rest of the kids in the world safe?

I spent a lot of hours last night imagining a world in which children are treated not as property but as a precious resource in need of protection. Where parents in crisis get the help they need. And all the people in a kids world make sure they're the one thing that matters - safe to grow up. Parents rights should only go so far.

Today will be a beautiful day here in Portland. Sunshine, in the 80s, perfect weather for an adventure. And my kids will get the big, embarrassing hug from their mom that I give them every day (even when they squirm). Only this time, I'll hang on a second longer. Anyone who has ever seen me with my kids will know how special and important they are to me. They are becoming people that make me proud and their love and support yesterday helped me hold it together. They will grow up, move out and start their own lives soon. And the most important lesson I want them to leave with is that family is love, family is safe and family is always there when you need them. Family isn't just the people who gave birth to you.

I may have an unusual family - my best friends are my parents, my siblings, my support system and the people I can lean on - but they are strong and kind and loving. And they are safe. And so am I.

May this beautiful day bring you love and hope and joy - and maybe a cup and saucer moment. You know, when you have that feeling that your cup is full? I know mine is overflowing.

14 comments:

  1. Oh, how I need a cup and saucer moment...
    This is a sweet post. It sounds to me like that is the lesson your kids will leave you with. Good for you (and them). I love your daughter's outfit by the way! And what a pretty woman you are... all 5 feet 10 inches of you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strengthening and reconnecting families - that's my goal. When I hear stories like this, it breaks my heart, but makes me work even harder. Thank you. enJOY your day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just cringe when I think of anyone helpless getting hurt - children, small animals - people that harm them should be dumped in the middle of the wilderness naked to to fend for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos!! And I love your daughter's boots!!

    Was I meant to write something sensitive too?

    Oh yeah, have you ever done ballet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not too long ago, I saw a segment on the news about the stress of the economic crisis and the climbing rates of child abuse. It's frightening and heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry, I totally agree with what you're saying. I'm not a mum. I don't intend to be a mum, but I AM a damn good Auntie (both in the sense of blood relative and in the sense of "friend of your parents who is allowed to tell you off/give you Embarrassing Hugs(tm) and have adventures with you". As such when I hear about children being abused, or the children I work with are at risk, I tie myself in knots because of my impotence in doing anything to stop it.
    However I had to read your post twice because the first time I did, all I was thinking was OMGINVADERZIMTSHIRTWANTWANTWANT!!!!!111!!! in a excrutiatingly adolescent/lolcat way.
    Both your kids get the dubious accolade of a fashion thumbs up from me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a terrific mom and I can see the joy and togetherness in your family, and it's inspirational. The best gift we can give our kids is unconditional love as we guide them through this thing called life.

    Keep up the good work, Chica! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are truly blessed in many ways and your awareness and gratitude of these blessings will assure you many blessings to come!

    ReplyDelete
  9. SAFE that's exactly what I teach when it comes down to it...but to adults in an extraordinary way...but in the way of driving on the road. OR seems totally different from where I'm at sometimes; but not really. You have the same predators there as here in my backyard. Hug those kids while you can cause they are growing up quick. You have a Lovely family via the pictures.

    Enjoy your week Otis :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are a wonderful Mom and through all your lovely photos I can see that special bond between you and your children.

    I have lots to learn and no matter, Family will always be a safe haven for my children too.

    Thank you for sharing this beautiful post :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. And the most important lesson I want them to leave with is that family is love, family is safe and family is always there when you need them. Very well put, both in words and practice. In this day and age when family is mocked, twisted, redefined...it is good to see there are still people out there who get it. At the same time, the saddest part of your post was, for me, not the idiots out there doing what they do, but rather this:

    I may have an unusual family - my best friends are my parents, my siblings, my support system and the people I can lean on - but they are strong and kind and loving.
    I can remember when that was the norm instead of the exception. That society glories in their rejection of family is a sad marker indeed. Treasure what you have.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, green and water and sunshine in Portland! It does look like it was a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dawn, Mom & RK: Thank you for your sweet comments. Yep, 5'10" of wonderful - with red hair again. Really, RK. Serious!
    Joe: Yes, I did ballet. How sensitive of you!
    Mama Zen: I know, and it's truly frightening. I'm glad I have a large extended family of friends to help me and these two through.
    Word Geek: YES!!! My kids rock. We love Zim. Doomie Doomie Doom is a daily occurance around here...
    Blossom: Thanks. I needed that!
    Scarlet: I just adore you!!
    Mark: I am blessed and never forget it for a minute
    Otis: Thanks. I always try to make something good out of bad things. I'm lucky.
    Shionge: Good moms need to stick together!!
    Darth: I do treasure it. And you're a part of it.
    Joe: Thanks! And thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete