Thursday, June 11, 2009

Wait a minute.... I've been WHAT?


OK, it has now, officially, been the longest week ever.

Back in November, I sold my pick-up to a friend for a whopping 1500 bucks, for which she is making small payments to me pretty regularly.

I started receiving notices in February that there were parking tickets racking up on the truck and kept notifying the proper authorities that I had sold it and that the new owner must not have transferred title as she should have. I also contacted her every time and she assured me she'd taken care of them and made arrangements for payments.

I have requested a second title copy, signed off on it and gave it to her - along with my handy check for $55 - over a month ago. She supposedly sent in the paperwork.

Well, as of this morning, my license has been suspended for HER unpaid parking tickets and I have threats of garnishments for these tickets from 3 different local agencies. And no drivers license. There is no new title in process. And she's not returning my phone calls.

No worries, everyone - I should be reinstated on my license tomorrow (after lots of phone calls and visits to said local agencies - on the bus if need be since I'm not legal to drive) and I can get back to the things I would like to do as early as tonight, as late as tomorrow.

But this, I'm told by the clerk at the DMV, happens ALL THE TIME. As the seller of the vehicle, even providing the bill of sale to the DMV does not protect me and my reputation from the stupidity of the person who bought the pickup.

So what's a poor girl to do?

"Take the plates off a vehicle when you sell it." Well, this came straight from the person at the DMV. She tells me the only way to assure yourself that the new owner has done the proper paperwork work is to remove the plates and return them to DMV. The new owner will quickly be caught for driving without plates. It forces them to register the vehicle properly.

So now, I would like some suggestions for what kind of tortuously evil things I can do to this former "friend" who has now wasted hours of my time, added terrible stress to my life and caused me to have to walk everywhere until my name is cleared. Plus, some of the parking tickets may never get cleared off my record and that will make my insurance rate go up.

Pheromone Girl is not amused.

9 comments:

  1. been there and done that, sadly. You would think people you know would not do that to you, so I learned that lesson a long time back. For me it was a mess for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god that SUCKS. Call me if you need a ride! And I hope this person is now an ex-friend.

    Suggestions - well, I can call her for you - every name in the book...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your friend should have the courtesy to inform you each them she get into traffic offences. This is also very irresponsible and she has totally abused the trust and sour the relationship.

    I am not amused too so I think this is a lesson learnt so be careful of her.

    Sorry the records stay Buddy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also be careful when donating cars. Yes, there is a story behind it. Yes, it sucks. Sorry you got stuck like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No good deed goes unpunished. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You could run over her a couple of times, maybe, with a new Cadillac convertible??

    I can't believe a "friend" did this to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, guys. I'll think twice before doing something that could cause me trouble. AND next time I sell a car they either come to the DMV with me or I'm taking those plates off!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry for what you have been through...

    I wanted to also thank you for your wonderful comments that you always leave on my blog. They mean so much to me....thanks so much!

    Have a nice weekend...xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, who are you trying to kid here, PG? That license belongs to a housecat!

    Seriously, they say that no good deed goes unpunished. I love Scarlet's suggestion. Maybe while you're walking, you'll find a winning lottery ticket on the ground. ;-) I'm sorry all of this has happened to you, you so dn't deserve it. Grr!

    ReplyDelete