Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A meaningful Meme

Scarlet posted a cool Meme this morning. I spent the whole day thinking about what photos I want to post. Her's were all of meaningful places, meaningful times in her life. Here's the Meme:

Post 5 photos along with 5 comments to explain what each of them say about me.

Mine, however, will be a little different...


This is Ezmond. And Buddha. Don't ask me how Sean got the dog to hold still for this shot. But he, more than any creature that's ever been a part of my world, is like a little Buddha. Open, joyful, always living in the moment. I want to be like him. My dog is my spiritual advisor.









I had long, long hair for a very long time. I cut it off to donate to a little girl with cancer who lost her beautiful, silky blond hair to chemotherapy. She's not here anymore, but I will never forget sitting with her, brushing her hair - which had been my hair - and singing "Where is Love" from Oliver while I gave her mom a break. I used to be afraid of tears, now I embrace them, because they mean I am alive and I remember.








My dad loves me. He may not be a good dad, sometimes he's not a good person, but he tried to do better than his family had done. I realise, as a parent, that this is not enough. We have to be the best parent we can be, the best person we can be, overcoming the things we learned as kids, and I hope mine would agree that we don't have to follow our parents path.







Ah, the Banyan trees in Maui. A wonderful trip, a most wonderful day spent - just being, feeling the sand. I looked at the teeny seashells that make up the sand on this particular beach. Shared a Corona with the beach shack attendant, out of a bucket, lime in the neck. I dipped my toes in the water. That day, I realized how little beauty there was in my life and pledged to find it, seek it out, bring it close.





After all those serious and somewhat sad posts, I wanted to remind you of the fun I like to have. I rarely take things seriously for very long. Have a tendency to be playful. Never turn down a challenge to make the better snow angel. Even during one of the most difficult months of my life, I was able to play with my son, in the front yard, ad laugh at the melting, frozen snow we shoved down each others shirts.

With new adventures spread out in front of me, I have a feeling these pictures will change this year, as my hopes and opportunities do. I can't wait to see where life leads me.

8 comments:

  1. Awwwwwwww! And I wasn't the only kid to make snow angels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cancer portion really hit home. That was a very good thing you did. I know for Mom, the worst part of cancer was not the times (two) they took her breasts, it was losing her hair to chemo. Some day we will look back at how backward medicine was when we thought poisoning someone...which is what chemo is...was a good idea. In the meantime, people who have the ability to make it better for those suffering from it are genuine heroes. Kudos to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so cool. My dog is also my spiritual advisor! He is very very wise and knows how to "be here now" and experience joy. I sing "My Guy" to him, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos. I like the story behind each one too.

    I spent all of yesterday trying to think of 5 photos that best described me and I couldn't. I dread to think what that says about me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. RK: Next time it snows like that, we are SOOO making snow angels at the park!

    Darth: Having had chemo myself and losing all MY hair at 19, I thought it only fitting to give mine away. Thanks for the kind words.

    FB: Wow! I sing "My guy" to Ezzie, too! Except when he wakes me at 5am to let me know the evil newspaper has been delivered and that he's protecting me. Then I just throw pillows at him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joe - it just says your too complex to narrow it down, I bet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice job, PG! I love the pic of Ezmond and Buddha, but not as much as the one of you and your son playing in the snow! You're a great mom!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are an easy person to like and these great pictures only endear you more to all of us.

    ReplyDelete