Wednesday, May 27, 2009

I'd like to thank the academy...


Wow. My first Blog Award!! I'm almost speechless. Really! (I know, your inner voice is saying, "What does she mean? She never shuts up!!")

So, my darling friend Fireblossom, who believes the spirit of Bill Cosby lives inside her toaster, has nominated me. If you haven't seen her fantastically twisted alter ego at Objects d'Art, get thee over there for a peek. She isn't just the most expressive writer of beautiful words at Word Garden, you know. I laugh so hard I have to wipe tears. I think I could have a thing for RRRRRRaoul... where do I get me one of those house boys?

Anyway, the award comes with strings. I have to write about why I blog and then I get to pass the torch. WAIT - don't touch that dial!! I've asked this question before, but I think I've discovered one of the minor eddies in the space time continuum here. And it's a doozie.

I blog for different reasons at different times. Sometimes I don't write at all - and usually not because I have nothing to say (does she EVER shut up??? somebody throw a monkey at her!!) Wait - does that make me COMPLICATED??? I probably have 30 blog posts in my queue that will never see the light of day. I read and reread them over warm strawberry pop tarts.

I've had people ask me if I write because I have to get things out or they'll make me nutty. (Like I'm not already there. I mean, who has peanut butter on their multi-grain eggos?) I didn't write for days over the holiday weekend and I saved up ideas for posts that should last me for a week. When I'm blissfully happy, I have a tendency to write less, if at all. When I'm busy and stressed, I write a lot more. How does that work?

Writing as therapy? Yeah, probably, but not always.

The most important reason I write is to stay connected. There are people that are extremely important to me that are too far away. I miss them. I want to keep them close. I write little hidden messages into my posts for them, because they're always with me that way. Many new friends from the blog world visit me and I visit them and we share our love of sharing silly things and important things. That's pretty cool.

I write because I love words. Because my 9th grade English teacher, Miss Leppart, used to sing opera as she walked the halls and was the coolest teacher ever. She taught me to form thoughts with a pencil before you say them in your voice - and never to start a sentence with "and". Oops...

Now, I'd like to bestow the lovely award upon Dawn, who, I recently discovered, I have lots in common with. Plus, she's cool. Hi Dawn!!

Now go out and write something, people!

9 comments:

  1. wOOt! It is your friends' good fortune that you are here. We love ya! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! It is always a wonderful feeling to be recognized by your peers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found your blog through Mark at the Naked Soul blog. Writing is a journey. A person can choose to use this as a means to get-to-know the self better or, just enjoy the experience in other ways. Dialogue with others evokes joy and other emotions worth exploring. To what degree you open up is completely up to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great award!! Well done mate!!

    Btw I loved your other post about love but it's disappeared!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me?!?! Well, now I'm speechless! Haha.. Thank you! I guess I have an acceptance speech to write, then, don't I?

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! I do the same thing...writing little hidden messages for my friends (those near and far). How funny that you do that as well. :)

    I think you're an excellent writer and very deserving of this award, so Congratulations, my friend!

    Now go strut your stuff on the red carpet, Chica! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, everyone. I hope the crazy-good week keeps you in high spirits!

    ReplyDelete