Friday, May 8, 2009

Friday nights

Remember Friday night when you were in high school? We'd watch Miami Vice and those pastel shirts, no socks, and fast boats. Or Friday Night Portland Wrestling, watching Rowdy Roddy Piper and many other soon-to-be-famous names, interrupted frequently with Tom Peterson's "Wake up" commercials for really bad furniture. We'd almost always get Papa Murphy's take and bake pepperoni pizza, have homemade root beer or Crush orange soda. It was high society in my family.

It's Friday night. I sit, feet up, watching a movie with family after a nice and mellow dinner. A nice, peaceful feeling settles over me.

It's been an intense week, full of memories that were painful and sad. I feel blessed to have this day with my kids at the zoo, a night spent without stress or fear, the way it could have been - had I stayed the path I originally chose. I am here because I was not weak. I am content because I take what I am given and embrace it. I accept the bumps in the road for what they are - lessons that teach me who I am. I love with wild abandon and refuse to change who I am, anymore, for anyone else, unless it feels right.

That doesn't mean I don't want for things. I have a new wish I've made, and I look forward to seeing what comes of this. My wings could use a little Featherbrite, Fireblossom. My life will not be the same in a year, and I look forward to the adventure on which I embark. My summer is full of new beginnings and my future is full of hope. I wonder if my park will be full of dragonflies again? It's been a long, long time.

8 comments:

  1. I wish I could feel that way about life but I don't.

    Good for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have the spirit to make it happen. You choose your destiny...no one else! I love it! Let the dragonflies be fruitful and multiply!!

    Btw, I never watched Vice on Friday nights. Love Boat on Saturdays, maybe...but Friday nights I'd pack up my rollerskates, the ones with the purple pom poms and the bells (oh, yeah!)...and head to "United Skates of America!" I loved that place!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite movies starred Roddy Piper. "They Live" is a camp classic!

    I'm so glad you don't have to be afraid and that your life is fun today! Meanwhile, spiff up those wings with some complimentary Featherbrite from me! We've got to make those wishes of yours come true!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wordsworth said: "Poetry is the spontaneous overflow of a powerful feeling." This post of yours is definitely poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pic - and I hate to tell you this, but I was in elementary school when Miami Vice was on ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finding joy in the simple things is a great trait. Most of my life we were not allowed to watch tv but we substituted by watching old B&W silents on the 8mm film projector. Good memories. In fact, I am stealing...err borrowing that for a piece of my own :-) I owe you one, sunshine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joe: I force myself most of the time, but I'm batting 500 so can't complain.

    Scarlet: Thank you, girl. You always say just the right thing!

    Blossom: I'm adding "They Live" to my netflix queue as we speak!!

    Annie: Thank you! That's very kind.

    RK: I could have been your mean babysitter :-)

    Darth: Cool - thank you!!

    ReplyDelete