Saturday, May 30, 2009

Another blanket story


I've had lots of neat stories shared about making forts, watching monster movies and Sunday afternoons from the last blog, Under Covers. It got me thinking about how much I like having a blanket in the back of the car to throw down someplace and picnic, nap or play a game with the kids.

When the kids were little, we used to make frequent road trips to the beach, the mountains and lots of local adventures. There wasn't a park that we didn't try out in our neighborhood. Games of wall ball were organized, sandwiches and juice boxes were shared, cookies were devoured.

As they got a little older and I went to work, I kept a blanket in the back of the car for days I needed a little sun, an escape, or some time spent with a friend. I really believe blankets must have magical powers - kind of like the towel joke that runs through The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. I can't leave home without it.

As I pack for an adventure to Frog Lake today, I remember years of special moments this blanket has shared.

When the kids were about 7 and 8, I babysat to help make ends meet. The kids loved our little adventures and we went to the Shakespeare Garden at the International Rose Test Gardens in Portland's Washington Park for a romp. Check out some beautiful rose photos here.We got to see a magical moment in some people's lives when an impromptu wedding happened to take place. I still have that blanket we were sitting on when this beautiful group of a dozen or so people appeared.
That day will forever stick in my mind as magical. As will another one, when I fell in love in this garden. Walking hand in hand with someone very special through the mazes of flowers and plants, talking about dreams and hopes and sharing stories. The blanket that was our nest that wedding day as we enjoyed the magic still travels with me. Maybe it's ready for another adventure. Picnic, anyone?

9 comments:

  1. So here's where you are...no call or e-mail could reach you!

    Mr RK and I had a date here at night on a warm summer eve. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't even tell you the last time I packed a blanket and took the kids on a picnic, but once again, you've inspired me.

    I'm going to pack some beach geer in the truck just incase...bathing suits & all. Wanna join us? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe Linus is on to something!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blanket?
    Hahahahahahaha...
    You should see the trunk of my car?
    You'd think I was one of those travelling Gypsy wagons...
    But I'm sure that you are much neater, and WAY more organized..
    I LOVE Oregon, It's very beautiful...
    I've seen you around, you seem very nice, smart, and compassionate.
    I think that you outta consider doing a Friday Flash 55...Just consider...OK?
    Galen...AKA G-Man

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet!!!!
    I really love hanging out at the park, on a blanket... even better with someone you love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We didn't go to a tea garden but we just returned from Colorado and had a lovely time in mountain settings. (Except for my altitude sickness:) This is a lovely post PG.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to have the adventure with you and your family, want me to bring my blanket too kekekeke... :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. those gardens make me jealous. for three straight years I turned every inch of soil in front of the house and planted fresh new flowers. and every year I grow the finest crop of weeds imaginable, but does anything ever flower? Smurf no. I think someone needs to bring a blanket to my (excuse for a) garden and smother those stupid plants. Grr.

    ReplyDelete