Monday, April 20, 2009

What makes a friend?

Lately, I've given a lot of thought to who my friends are. They have supported me, helped me move, bought groceries for us as I struggled these past few months. You name it, I've had it, and all because of you. Every time things seemed bleak, someone would step in and be my hero. I've been lucky in my life to have a large group of friends. And boy are they all different. Putting them in a room together would be most interesting - I should try that sometime. Hmmm, maybe not. What would the butcher and the vegetarian talk about? That would be one interesting seating chart...

I don't choose my friends because of our commonalities. I choose them for their unwavering love, the beauty we bring to each other's life, and the communal desire to be good people when we can, as imperfect as we are. They are actresses, athletes, marketing superstars, moms, warehouse managers and call center gurus. Some have masters degrees, others went to the school of hard knocks.

Recently it was time to tell a long time friend goodbye. I tried to do it in the nicest way possible, but her issues were just killing me. I was having to stand by and watch her make bad decisions and justify them by saying "she was in love".

But love, to me, doesn't come with this kind of price tag. Our interactions were becoming more and more painful. I was avoiding her, not calling back when she left messages. I even started avoiding places she'd frequent, just in case I'd run into her. I couldn't bear another "he didn't call me" tear-filled conversation.

After telling her I care deeply about her and wish her a good life, I told her I'm sorry but I just can't see continuing this friendship. She needs to find people that want to listen to her and are comfortable supporting her in the life she's chosen and that I can no longer do that. And it broke my heart a little to have to say goodbye.

So, as I sit here this Monday morning, I want to thank all of you who read and are my friends for letting me be a little part of your life. Although we may not believe in the same politics, dress the same way, live in the same city or share an income bracket, you're what gets me through the tough days. And make me smile on the good ones.

Today is a VERY good one. Wanna share?

8 comments:

  1. Knowing what I know about this person, she needs to grow up. You shouldn't have to have sloppy seconds so she can run off to her married guy. Ick. I don't believe in that whole "water under the bridge" thing...how people treat others is reflective of the way they will one day treat you. And it sounds like she was pretty bloody selfish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for letting me get to know you while Debbie has been away. I have enjoyed reading your blog. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to let a friend go like that, but sometimes it is the best thing.

    Wishing you peace and new friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe you mentioned this girl to me once, and it seemed like a one-sided friendship anyway. You did the right thing, Chica.

    I love everything about this post; in fact, I could've written it myself (but not so eloquently).

    Thanks for being such a cool internet buddy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you have the courage to do what you need to do and have the friends you do to still give you support while making that sort of tough call.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonnie: It has been such a pleasure getting to know you. Start your own blog so we can keep in touch!

    RK: So right and so true and so protective of me. I'm SOOO lucky!

    Fireblossom: Thanks for your kind words. I love what you write, you have an amazing soul!

    Scarlet: Back atcha! Thanks for those pep talks. I'll call you this weekend for the download on those items I sent!

    Darth: Thank you. I am VERY lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it nice to know that when other people seem to fail you, you can stand on top of the world and shout out at your internet friends? I guess we can run them off too, so I've gotta get out of my sob-sister mood quickly before someone has "the talk" with me:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Annie: I don't think you could ever run anyone off. You've had a bumpy month and we're all rooting for things to calm down.

    ReplyDelete