Sunday, April 26, 2009

So you live... where?

I like to tell people I live in Portland, but I really live in a little neighborhood just across the river from downtown. Portland is an interesting city. It has suburbs in all directions and arguments abound over where Portland ends and the neighborhoods within it begin. There is a Chinatown, a strong African-American community, neighborhoods that are environmentally friendly and others that are all about driving the biggest SUV. Tattoos, hair colors and modes of transportation are all over the place. Diversity is defined here.

I live in Sellwood. We have a cool, old bridge that has failed every major safety and engineering test in the last year. They will be buiding a new one (and disrupting some of the most beautiful and pristine wetlands in the Pacific Northwest) and I'm hoping it doesn't happen for a couple years. I'll take my chances on the Sellwood Bridge. If it falls into the river with me on it, think of the story my grandkids will hear... "And your grandma plunged into the freezing Willamette River in her pretty little blue Jaguar one sunny August day..."


To get anywhere south, I have to cross this one. To see my best friend Traci, to see my best friend Michelle, I just hit the road and head across, sometimes a couple times a day. I don't think I could bike it, it would take too long to get across and the big trucks that pass would make me nutty. That and the concrete crashing into the river on a regular basis.

I am so lucky, I get to live in a vibrant city full of great restaurants, cultural diversity, sports teams and outdoor activities. I am a short walk from the wetlands, mere steps from one of the best parks in the city and able to walk out my front door on any given day and watch miniature boat races, people learning to fly fish and families frolicking in my gigantic front yard. All while listening to the sounds of the train in the background as I sip my tea in a shady spot.

I live in Sellwood. Lucky girl. Can life get any more grand than that?

10 comments:

  1. Oh what a cool blog :) I am hoping you don't fall into the river in your pretty blue car!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't fall into the river in your pretty blue Jaguar! That's not how the movie ends, Chica!!

    PS - You make me wish I lived in Sellwood. It sounds PERFECT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. RK: Thanks. I don't intend to, I just think it's something I shouldn't worry about too much. I have other things to worry about!

    Annie: Thanks - and I want to be you with my toes in the dirt on a hot summer day. Thanks for sharing your life!

    Scarlet: Babe, we go over that cliff together - and I always assumed that T&L landed safely. Maybe they have a parachute??

    ReplyDelete
  4. So are you not getting e-mails? I'm leaving a comment here just in case...I think T saw the blog and was mad because I haven't heard from him at all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. look at the bright side. if anyone comes to visit you, annoys you, and needs directions...you have a good place to send them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you live in the perfect place for you!

    My partner has a red jaguar, and it's way too pretty for me to drive. Yhe car not my partner. :D

    I like your new profile photo too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. First, I love this new profile photo of you & your girl :) It is gorgeous PG and I love it!!

    Thanks for introducing the place that you live, I would love to do a road trip again in America and get round to visit you someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Darth: I LOVE IT. I already have someone that could use directions to the bottom of the river. Hmmm.

    Joe: Men react one of two ways to my car. It's either "I must drive it!" or "That's way too girly for me". Cracks me up!

    Shionge: Thanks! - and you, too, Joe - for the compliment. It's an older picture but I've always loved her stranglehold! You can come visit me anytime!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I visited Portland once, long ago, on my See America Tour. I liked it. :-)

    ReplyDelete