Thursday, April 16, 2009

An evil laugh

I have a friend with the BEST evil laugh. I never know what to think when I am on the receiving end of it.

Am I in trouble? Am I a geek? (OK, that one is a big yes) Did I say something wrong? Right? Outrageous? Memorable?

It probably works well in all of those forms. But I have had to ask myself recently - why don't I laugh more? I used to laugh all the time. I let the difficulties of life take away one of my greatest joys.

I made a goal on Sunday to laugh a lot this week (sounds pitiful, I know, but I had to do it. Type A - that's me). I found myself giggling when I crawled back into bed after de-skunking the basement room in which my son sleeps. I laugh whenever I get a text message about monkeys (and it's more often than you think). I giggled with my daughter while shopping, laughed uproriously when Traci and I were getting toes done, snickered while my toes were being painted blue. I can't help but smile at the sunshine, the rain, the oops when my auto insurance had accidentally been cancelled in January, at finding out I'm getting a tax refund. The list is endless.

I laugh when the dog barks at his reflection. When I found ants completely covering my bottle of Drambuie in the liquor cabinet (they have expensive taste, those ants. Have you ever seen drunk ants? It's outrageously funny). Smiled when I shipped packages to New York, Miami and Spokane - on tax day - and spent an hour in line.

But I don't think I have an evil laugh. You know, one that makes people turn and stare, question and wonder. I need to work on that.

In the mean time, I have plenty of things to laugh about today. I'm venturing to the U-pull it place to try to find a replacement window and liftgate for the Explorer. I guess the clear plastic covering the back of it just isn't going to cut it long term. Anyone want a field trip? I promise to make you laugh...

10 comments:

  1. love the laughing bit. But it would definitely work better as an evil laugh. Vaguely malicious chortles or mildly vicious guffaws just don't have the same effect...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I needed a laugh today. Thank you! Hahahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you say field trip, as in Thelma-and-Louise-hit-the-road trip?? Don't we both have red hair?? Let's do it!! :)

    I love laughter and good times and friends that can make us laugh are priceless!

    Great post, PG!

    ReplyDelete
  4. DW: I think I'll try to join an "Evil Laugh" class. See if I can drum one up - sounds fun.

    Bonnie: Hi again! Glad I could add a laugh to your day. Thanks for covering for Debbie.

    Scarlet: Two beautiful redheads in a convertible.... ooh, would we be trouble! Wait - it's the boys of the world that would be!! I have to send you a picture of something I just bought that says "You be Thelma, I'll be Louise"!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. De-skunking! Seriously!

    I can't help it ... even totally inappropriate things make me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. MONKEYS MOMKEYS MONKEYS

    Did u laff? :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't laugh very often, but last night my partner told me this story about their day. We both laughed until we had tears rolling down our face. That felt good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laughter is contagious and I'll laugh with you anytime :D HAHAHahahhahahh.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed this post. I don't laugh enough. Anyone can do the evil laugh thing it's the "eat shit and die" look on your face as you laugh that does it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kitty: ESPECIALLY inappropriate things make you laugh. One of your many charms!!

    Firbeblossom: *laughs maniacally* Yes, it worked. Oh, no, I have the giggles!!!

    Joe: There is NOTHING better than having someone you love make you laugh hard enough to have milk come out of your nose.

    Shionge: You're on! I want one of your wonderful tours of your city and we'll laugh so hard we cry!!

    Pouty Lips: Thanks - I'm glad, I enjoyed it, too. I could use some evil laugh lessons. I'll practice in the mirror so I get the look just right!

    ReplyDelete