Thursday, August 13, 2009

Salt dancing


I am so much prettier now than when I was in high school. Maybe that's why I didn't feel the need to go to my 20th reunion a couple years back. I'm self assured, relatively successful, have a house full of monkeys and a heart full of joy most days.

*puke*

I know, I know. Shut up already! "She's one of THOSE people, always happy..." Well, sue me.

Why would I want to spend a momentous occasion - the reminder of 20 years removed from gym class, popularity contests that I never won and straight A's? - with a bunch of people who weren't very nice to me the first time around?

So I didn't go. But that doesn't mean that I don't celebrate things in my world. I'm not big on anniversaries and spend most of the hours of any given anniversary reminding myself how much I've grown. Go me.

Christmas is a cute holiday. I celebrated in church for many years and came to realize that even at church it was about presents. The church wanted presents in the form of big fat donations from all the extra sheep they drew in for the guilt factor (you have to go to church or you'll rot in hell - now get out your checkbook and we'll make it all better!!) Not that all churches are like that, just this particular church that shall remain nameless. LAME. Besides, EVERYONE gets to celebrate Christmas, everyone gets gifts, everyone is the center of attention.

BIRTHDAYS, however, are different. Birthdays are a really, really big deal. A birthday is a special day, just for you, where everything is about you. I spoil on birthdays. Birthdays are never forgotten. Birthdays are very, very special. I will make you dance in salt.

Back when I was a kid, in the 70s, we had some wonderful neighbors in our neighborhood. My parents were friends with everyone. The Rackanellis were a large, fabulous Italian family. The Brewers were rather odd but their kids still hung with my crew. The Teckenbergs got divorced and I used to babysit their kids - plus the oldest was my little brother's best friend and they caused lots of trouble together. The Williams, Lena and Art, were like grandparents to me. They yelled at me a lot the way good grandparents will do. "Get off our fence" or "don't you dare go stomping through my rose beds" and especially "give me back my boxer shorts!" They hung laundry out on a line to dry - they never had a dryer, and I was notorious for putting Art's brightly patterned boxer shorts on the bird house. Little minx that I was.

Anyway, my favorite neighborhood family didn't speak a word of English. I believe their name sounded something like Braunschwager. They were Russian Orthodox with the lace on their heads and everything. Their kids were amazingly well behaved - except when their parents were out of earshot and they would cuss in Russian and spit. I learned to spit very far the year they moved in.

My birthday is smack dab in the middle of winter. It's almost immediately after Christmas. Yes, I got combo Christmas and Birthday gifts. At the time, it was very upsetting. Now, I think my parents taught me a very good lesson about expectations. You see, the most meaningful gifts for me are the ones given from the heart. A note, a card, a box full of silly things that cost nothing and mean everything. A receipt saved from a special moment together and mailed to me weeks later. Dancing in salt.

Did you have to read that twice? You see, my birthday was often forgotten, usually celebrated with leftover cupcakes from some Christmas get together (which is probably why I dislike eating any dessert themed green).

But I digress.

The Russian Orthodox family had a strange but cool birthday tradition. At the appropriate moment (he exact time of birth), on the appropriate day, they would celebrate in a small way. The box of Mortons (or Leslie, since Art worked for Leslie salt forever and we all got boxes and boxes) would come out. A line would be drawn all the way across the room in thick salt. Not a space would be left - that would be bad luck. And the birthday boy or girl, man or woman would dance around the room to the clapping of the adults and step ceremoniously over the line of salt, officially becoming a year older. We'd all laugh and drink homemade lemonade. The salt would be spread from one end of the room to the other because everyone would join in the dance.

When I was 11, I celebrated with them and had my first salt dance. I also realized, accidentally, that the lemonade being enjoyed by the adults have Vodka in it and mine did not. Also that I didn't like Vodka much at all.

So for years, as a kid, I'd celebrate my friends birthdays by forcing them to cross a line drawn in salt. They all put up with my silliness because they knew they'd also get homemade cake. Made with Rum. Now rum cake was nothing like Vodka. Trust me on this one. You never wake up in the morning with a rum cake headache. The cake would be hand carved in the shape of something meaningful to the person. For Jodie, it was a fiddle, Jill got a piano keyboard, Todd the face of a character from a play (did I mention I hung out with the geeks?) Sean got a helmet with his favorite football team's logo and colors. I had a crush on Sean. I spent two weekends practicing the carving. He wasn't all that impressed and said crush went away quickly. Especially after he said "I'd have preferred a cake from Albertsons". Ouch.

Anyway, happy 39th to a most important person in my world. Where'd I put the salt...?

11 comments:

  1. Wait, what? Whose birthday is it?
    Cool story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pffffft. I've been being 39 for some time now. ;-)

    I want to put on a babushka and do a salt dance! And the men can do that Russian thing where they cross their arms and squat down and kick one leg out, then the other. And then everyone goes "hoy!" or something like that. Oh yeah, I'm telling you, this chick could BE Russian and never miss a beat! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never enjoyed my birthday. Somehow it's always been a reminder that I was given away.

    As for Christmas, true Christians believe it's all about celebrating the birth of Jesus, not gifts. I do attend church and the principle is that any guests in the church should feel free not to give a gift and just let the collection bags pass them by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a charming tradition!!

    If you'd grown up next door to me, I'd have taught you to spit Watermelon Seeds.

    rachel

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a charming tradition!!

    If you'd grown up next door to me, I'd have taught you to spit Watermelon Seeds.

    rachel

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know how you feel about high school reunions...I have zero desire to go to one, and I've been out of school 17 years myself... I have no desire to see most people I went to high school with, and besides, Facebook is like one big virtual HS reunion anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hated high school for all the reasons you did, I never fit any where (not with the "brains" either, tho i had straight "A" cause I played sand lot sports well) and have never been to a reunion.
    My mom also has a near Christmas birthday (2 days before) and I had to work hard at making IT special.
    The Russian Orthodox tradition sounds marvelous! And I definitely understand about rum cakes (my favorite hard liquor

    ReplyDelete
  8. The one good thing about High School reunions is seeing how people have changed and regret the people they were back in the day.
    At least, that is the theory. I never really cared enough to show up to one even had I been invited.

    That sounds like a fabulous tradition that brings you great enjoyment and is a wonderful thing.

    Ironically, my wife vastly prefers store-bought cakes to home-made ones. There is no accounting for the strangeness of some people.

    Of course, if she did NOT have strange tastes...would she have married me? I think not. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love reading about traditions and customs. I grew up all over the world, and I'm so glad I saw throughout childhood that many types of people and beliefs make the world go 'round.

    Neat post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great story.

    Wonder who's b'day it is? :-0

    In any event, I didn't go to my 25th simply because I was treated like dirt at my 15th, so I politely told them what they could with themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. We have almost exactly the same thoughts on Birthdays v. Christmas. I could have written that part of this post myself. In fact, I'm sure I've used those same words almost verbatim. Are you absolutely sure we weren't separated at birth?

    My sons' birthdays are just before Christmas (and yes, I get to hear all the "poor planning" jokes every year) and I always make sure to distinguish between the two. If there's something really big/expensive on the agenda, there may be a "combo gift", but there will also be something smaller and not-so-expensive for each occasion. Birthday cakes are never green or trimmed in holly and ivy with dancing snowmen or reindeer or fat guys in red suits or even elves (odd considering my whole Birthday Elf thing).

    Because your birthday is uniquely yours. (Obviously you share it with a bunch of other people, but not the entire friggin' world.)

    So whoever is celebrating that landmark in your world, pass on my best (belated since I'm reading this almost two weeks late) wishes okay?

    ReplyDelete