Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Gifts

What's your best gift ever? Someone asked me recently to share a best gift memory. It was difficult. I have many favorite and special things, some from a very long time ago. But there is one item that stands out above all others.

It was a note. It had 8 words on it. Eight very simple, elegant words that, in any other order or missing any of the combination, would not have meant nearly as much. But they were just what I needed to hear, just when I needed to hear it. And it meant everything. I wore that note card into soft, curled paper by reading it and rereading it. I fell asleep holding on when I was afraid and lonely. It gave me hope and reminded me to have faith in things that at times feel impossible. It embodied strength.

A close second would be a number of items made by my kids. My son made me a beautiful wooden box with a lid that swings open. It sits on my desk at work. My daughter has drawn me an amazing number of pictures, all of which I keep in a folder. I have pictures she drew when she was 2 - scribbles of yellow and purple and red. She called them by name. Whatever the names were, I would write on the back.

I have kept a large number of letters and post cards, too. Somehow, the things people said to me always meant more than the mere items that would be used up, put away and sooner or later forgotten. It's the words that matter. In someone's own handwriting, that I can touch. I am happiest holding the same piece of paper that someone else held, thought of me, touched with a pen, sealed and sent. Or handed off. Maybe left on a pillow. I can almost touch you when I touch a note you wrote.

I am a tactile person. Yes, an iPod Touch, a movie I love (Practical Magic, anyone?) or a box of funny post cards would be nice, appreciated and reciprocated. Jewelry never goes over poorly. An email is lovely. I appreciate a nice, catching-up-with-you phone call. But it's the things that are said, pen to paper, that mean something else - because I can relive it at any moment and remember what the note - and you - mean to me.

What was the best gift you ever received?

11 comments:

  1. The best was the giant make-up kit that three of the gals I work with gave me in October 2004. The second best was the birthday box from...you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a chest full of my kid's school papers, notes, cards, letters, pictures (and my daughter is 30!). About twice a year I go through it, and depending on the hormones, I either laugh or cry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me a hug when I needed it most.Tho a note from my dad on a small trinket he gave me was also wonderful.
    It is amazing the small things are always the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! It's tough to pick just one. This isn't very sentimental, but when I had a thing for David Spade (believe it or not, I did!) my husband came home with tickets to his show here in Miami. I was so thrilled, I cried...and not for the reasons you think (not for DS).

    My son made me a wooden jewelry box when he was 6 for Mother's Day (so sweet!) and my little girl got me art supplies when I started taking classes, which was very thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are two favorite gifts that come to mind. 1) Satellite radio. I love my music. 2) A day all to myself to do whatever I wanted. There was no money spent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In high school my daughter was a brain, she got accepted to every college that she applied for. One day she came home and asked if I would help her move into her dorm in the fall..At my beloved University of Michigan, my Alma Mater. And I did'nt even realize that she applied there...
    She never publicly admitted it, but I know that she did it for me.

    Happy belated 15th B'Day to your son...A very handsome lad!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do not get many letters, but I see what you're saying. Now I want more letters.
    As a mommy nothing can beat the gifts I've received from my kids. For my last birthday they got me a Chargers hat... it was so cute. I don't even wear hats!
    One year, my mom bought me a private snowboarding lesson... that was an awesome gift because without that hour with the world's best snowboarding instructor I would've given up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a toughie...I've been thinking about this since last night. I think it was a little Hello Kitty from Blake a couple of years ago. At that point, he rarely suggested getting presents for other people, but he did get them for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't pick just one I've been given many wonderful gifts but I think the best ones are those that show a person has really understood me. Something that's just perfect for me.

    Maybe I'll blog about it. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. In a sense, I always hated the whole gift thing...I never really have properly grasped the proper way to respond. I much more enjoy giving them, but not always. Only when I know what someone wants but they do not know I know, so when they open it or see it, the look on their face...maybe that is the best gift I have ever gotten, the reaction to well-given gift.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A surprise baby shower that I knew nothing about - for my 3rd child. Totally and completely unexpected.

    I'll be needing your address, by the way.

    ReplyDelete