Monday, August 10, 2009

Can you carry those a little bit further?

After discovering a "chick flicks" section at the small coastal store, I had to share my favorite girly scene from a movie.

Stranger Than Fiction: Harold works as a tax collector, Ana as a baker. She is the light and fluffy and kind hearted soul to his linear and OCD, number crunching and rather cold personality. Earlier, she'd given him a cookie and he refused it because, as a tax collector, he's not allowed to receive gifts. He offends her by paying her for the cookie when she was just trying to be kind.

Harold Crick: [runs to Ana with a box of 10 paper bags in it] I'm glad I caught you. I wanted to give you these.
Ana Pascal: Wait, you can give presents, but not receive them? That sounds awfully inconsistent, Mr. Crick.
Harold: Yes, but...
Ana: Wait, I know, I'll purchase them! Yeah, I'll purchase them.
[reaches into her bag to grab her wallet]
Harold: No, no, no, no.
Ana: [with wallet in hand, stops to actually look at the box] What are they?
Harold: [quietly] Flours.
Ana: What?
Harold: I brought you flours.
Ana: Wait, you carried them all the way here?
Harold: Miss Pascal, I've been odd. I know I've been odd, and I know that there are many forces at work telling me to bring these down here to you, but I brought these for you because... I want you.
Ana: [a bit taken aback, and ready to be really offended] Excuse me?
Harold: I want you.
Ana: You want me?
Harold: In no uncertain terms.
Ana: [realizing that he's really not being a creep and just a guy who's not used to saying what he feels] But isn't there some... I don't know... rule about fraternization...
Harold: Auditor / Auditee protocols, yes, but I don't care.
Ana: Why not?
Harold: Because I want you.
Ana: [contemplates him for a second, and looks back at the box] Can you carry those a little bit further?
Harold: Okay.

Speaking of gifts, coolest gift ever. Flours. Now there's a guy who was paying attention...

11 comments:

  1. I will give flowers to women at a moments notice. Some misinterpret this, but it is an innocent gesture, but Flour????

    ReplyDelete
  2. I HAVE TO rent this movie now! I want to know what Harold's going to do/say next. What's the title??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm confused about the flour and the flowers.

    So women like to receive flowers?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute. I always wanted to see that movie but never got around to it. Now you've given me a reason.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm afraid I'll have to miss this one...

    But I'm glad you like it...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must say I missed this too! Must watch it now...flours...LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That movie I really wanted to see after I saw the preview the first time...a little less the second...and after a while, it passed my notice.

    And now, what...a year or so after it came out? I have had it recommended about 6 times in a 2 week span. Methinks it maybe should make my viewing list.

    So if he had tripped and spilled the contents of his box on her, would it have made her a flour child?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never saw the movie, but am renting it TONIGHT. I kind of feel like I have to now.

    ReplyDelete