Friday, March 27, 2009

So much to say

I haven't blogged much this week, although to be honest there are 4 stories sitting in the never-never land of my unposted drafts. I blame the crazy schedule, late night board meetings and over abundance of responsibilities.

But I haven't blogged for one reason. Someone mentioned in passing that they had seen a typo on one of my previous blogs.

You might as well have slammed my head into a door.

I admit I don't always spellcheck, but I try to proofread. I'm a perfectionist, I admit that, too. Why did that throw me for such a loop? Why should I care if I used the wrong form of a word somewhere, if I happened to hit two keys at once and missed fixing it when I reread? Isn't it the story that matters?

And it made me think. WHY AM I BLOGGING?

I've spent the last 3 days trying to answer that question. I've visited my friend's blogs, added new ones to my list of blogs to follow, read a number of interesting, intriguing and downright inspirational words. But I didn't publish anything I wrote.

And I discovered why I write, what it gives me. And it's not better spelling skills.

I'd love to hear why you write, if you're willing to share with the class. I'll share my story tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. I make spelling errors ALL the time. Some of them are really big too. :D I use incorrect English, and bad grammer. I try not to, but I can't always help it.

    To me it's the story that matters. I go to some blogs where everything is written out perfectly, and yet it bores me stiff.

    Why do I write? Good question. Mainly because I find it helpful to get my thoughts, worries and feelings out. It's also great to get other peoples feedback about what you've written.

    You shouldn't worry about spelling mistakes etc. I think if you write from the heart you'll always have something worth reading, typos or not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pointing out a typo might sound a bit trivial, but sometimes it's just an FYI thing...not meant to offend anyone. One time I wrote "Deutsche" rather than Dutch on a post and someone pointed out the difference between the two in Comments, which I totally appreciated (especially since the Dutch friend I was talking about was reading my blog). I made quick corrections and learned something from it.

    It's the meat of the post that matters to me. If your personality and writing combine to make a point or tell a story, who cares if you miss a word here or there or slip up? Oftentimes I overlook it myself.

    I write for therapy, future reference, and to keep my creative juices flowing. I also read blogs for the same reason I read books...I love to learn about a person's life, his/her interests, dreams/thoughts and culture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I write because I have to. Keeping a journal from age ten, I easily moved into cyber space. My writing is for me and I share it in case someone can find something of interest for themselves. I read for content and can't imagine correcting another blogger on spelling or grammar. I believe not doing so is part of the blogging code.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the comments! I, too, don't worry about others spelling and have actually asked people what they mean about something once in a while. I try not to be overly sensitive about criticism, but took this one a little more personally because it was in person.

    Annie - I think having a bloggers code rocks, as do you!

    Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trying not to be overly sensitive about critcism...I am laughing out loud based on all of the shit that happened this week!

    A typo - well, I think I know who that was! You can fix the typo, he can't fix his entire personality, can he?

    Why do I write? It's a compulsion. Honestly, it's something I HAVE to do.

    ReplyDelete