Monday, March 23, 2009

Pay no attention to the man behind the screen

Who really knows me?

My best friends know my deepest, darkest secrets. But do they know I don't like ice cream? That my foot is still in constant discomfort, sometimes pain, after the surgery to try to repair it? That I want to learn to tango? That I don't like movie theaters but stop to buy greasy buttered popcorn when I pass - and eat it on the street? That my favorite color is scarlet? That my bedroom walls are painted a dark, rich chocolate brown that feels like a cocoon?

What does it mean to know someone? I have spent years sitting next to a person at work and known so little about them that they seem transparent like cellophane. I've sat next to a stranger on an airplane and left feeling like I knew them deeply - and have kept in touch and become friends through emails and phone calls and the occasional coffee when our paths cross.

What do these people know about me? They probably don't know about the abuse once suffered at the hands of my parent, about my awful first marriage. I'm sure they don't know how much I've enjoyed sleeping in of late. A former 5am riser, I'm now lucky enoght to temporarily be able to stumble out of bed at 8. And loving every minute of it.

What secrets do you keep?

4 comments:

  1. This is a most interesting post and it has me to thinking. I feel like I am an open book, but perhaps there are secrets only I know. Maybe I'll try a post like this.

    Thank you for your great comments on my grand kids stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto - very interesting post. I am always myself, I just share more or less of myself depending on who I'm around - and I guess I have lots of secrets. But you know most of them.

    I'll eat your ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like the other two, I love this post because it's thought provoking.

    I believe I'm an open book...and folks who know me personally and read my blog tell me they could hear me speak when I write because it's so me.

    Of course, not every secret needs to be published on Blogger (I learned that last year). ;)

    Still, I try to keep it real and maybe I'll post some "safe" secrets in an upcoming post. You're inspiring me a lot lately. Thanks, Chica!

    Btw, wear comfy shoes when you and Riot Kitty visit me in Miami and we learn to tango!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it when people ask me thought provoking questions. I love it even more that my question has meaning for you three. How did it happen that I'm so lucky to have such wonderful women as new friends?

    Wishing you all lots of secrets that make you happy! And you're on, Scarlet. RK - Pack your bags. We're gonna learn to tango!!

    ReplyDelete