Sunday, March 22, 2009

As luck would have it...


Things always work out the way they do for a reason.

I completely blame my lack of a good job for connecting me with a friend that has been unbelievable for the last almost-year (yes, that's you, Riot Kitty). I found a great little house I love on a park, next to a giant body of water that makes me feel calm, all because I couldn't afford the big house I was living in. I found the coolest dog ever when I was grieving the loss of the previously coolest dog ever. I didn't think I was ready for a dog again (but are we ever ready for anything?) I'm about to sell my car, the one I thought I always wanted, and boy an old Ford Pickup. But I'll pay cash and I'll save crazy amounts of money over the next year, and I'll get rid of another thing that hangs over my head.

I like to think that life happens while we're busy making other plans. And I embrace this thought as I wander my way through every day. My life is happening now, to me and only me, and I appreciate and enjoy every moment. When I remember this and shake off the gloom and doom so easily absorbed from my world.

Yesterday was the best day for a road trip. I started out majorly cranky, due to circumstances beyond my control that made me feel like I shouldn't spend the gas money. Or buy lunch. But I threw caution to the wind, adjusted my attitude and hit the road for an amazingly wonderful day. I smiled A LOT. I saw things that made me feel happy and at peace. There was a ship that held magic and secrets, an art gallery that had beautiful paintings of dark, stormy seas that made me happy, and a moment when I felt like the world had brought me to this spot completely randomly, just to find a good hour's peace. And I embraced the peace.


I touched the hull of a shipwreck. I gazed upon wonder and beauty. I remembered something really important from my childhood. It's all little stuff. My job title doesn't matter, my happiness does. I am right where I'm supposed to be.

Last night, as I fell asleep after this wonderful, joyous day, I thought of the bar pilots, steering ships safely to port and through the worlds most dangerous bar at the base of the Columbia River. I remembered the smell of the salt air, the feel of the wind on my face, the brief splashes of sunlight that teased me and made me think of the spring weather to come. I embraced the idea of pulling out my easel, painting my way out of dark moods, and blowing off the accounting project I've been moping my way through. There's time for that tomorrow.

Today, I celebrate Sunday. And dream of a little cabin on the hill, overlooking the container ships as they pass under this immense bridge. Safely and full of cars, grain, and hope. Tomorrow has plenty of time for responsibilities. Today is made for joy.

3 comments:

  1. Awwwww! Thanks :)

    Cute pics! Now I want to go out to Astoria.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! After reading this post, I'm sure to have sweet dreams tonight. As I drift, I'll be thinking of magical ships that holds secrets and of sexy pirates onboard that look like Johnny Depp. Ooh yeah... ;)

    Nice pics, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful PG, I love your attitude and how you embraced this glorious day.

    Wishing you a wonderful week ahead ;D

    ReplyDelete