Tuesday, March 31, 2009

It was bound to happen....


I had to reject a comment on my blog this morning. I have always had my settings so I get to see them before they post, but I've never felt the need to be crazy about that. Even if I may not believe in what someone is saying, it's all about the freedom to have an opinion and blogs are for sharing, I think.

But, they're not for ADS.

Yes, someone posted a comment to a previous blog on which I railed about germy people at grocery stores. And the comment had a link to a web site and everything. It was advertising in its truest form.

Now, I'm a recovering advertising production manager, graphic designer, everything else related to selling ice cubes to eskimos. But I would NEVER post an ad on someones blog, facebook page or myspace pick-up spot. Goodness me, I'd like to be taken seriously. And, no matter how well meaning this person was (the site linked to was about teaching children to wash hands.... um, my kids are teenagers, in case you actually read my blog - not toddlers) it came across as slightly icky and was thus rejected.

But that begs to question: has anyone else ever had one of these random comments show up on their site?

4 comments:

  1. Not since I did word verification, but I'm sure it'll come up sometime. My question is: wtf? Do these people sit there doing random google searches for things like "hand washing" and "germs", PSAs all ready to go? How did she find you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had one when I mentioned head lice, I had a link to a company selling a product that was only available in the States anyway. I left it because I had so few friggin coments in those days that even that one made it look like someone had been to my blog! Now how sad is that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I turned off word verification yesterday because honestly, I didn't get a lot of these ads and I thought I'd make things a little simpler. If it happens, I'll turn it on again.

    Btw, I don't appreciate links from first-time visitors who don't even know what you're about. If I mention a serious problem on my blog and someone like you suggests a link, that's different...but in this case, it's just creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the confirmation - I was really questioning if I was being too easily annoyed and I went back and read her comment again. It was so totally self-serving and weird.

    However, from any of my faves, I'd post anything, you name it!!!

    ReplyDelete