Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Ran into an old friend...


The world is a strange and wonderous place. Most days.

I had the weirdest (a good weird) experience about a year ago. I was out of work, bored, needed something to do with myself - and my daughter joined myspace. Which concerned me because I've heard news reports about stalkers, weirdos and the problems that social networking can bring.

So, I joined too - just to keep an eye on her.

And guess what? One of my best friends from grade school found me almost immediately. My daughter quickly lost interest in myspace and I ended up spending hours looking for old friends, without much luck. My best friend from kindergarten and I reconnected and talk frequently. But myspace was lacking somehow. And a bit immature, I'll admit.

Then came facebook.

In the past 3 months, I have added 30 old friends. Actual, honest to goodness friends, people I have wondered about, missed and wished I'd kept in touch with. I never found them at reunions (mostly because I hung out with an older crowd or a younger crowd, but rarely people from my class). Classmates.com was pretty worthless - most people don't subscribe to their silly and expensive service so you can see they are there but you can't actually communicate.

I want to hunt down those that are still missing and say GET A PAGE! Because I get to chat with Matt, catch up with Steph (lucky girl, living in paradise!!) and see pictures and hear stories about everything that's happened since 1986. The year I practically fell off the face of the earth.

My kids have lots of friends from the schools they've attended - and they have them as friends on facebook. Even if the tipping point for this particular form of communication comes and goes and facebook goes the way of the wired car phone (remember those?), they'll have a way to keep in touch over the years - something we didn't have. After all, I moved 12 times in one year and didn't have a phone for a long time. So, how would they have kept in touch?

Thanks, Scarlet, for the spark that lit this story. Your note from an old friend inspired me. And thanks, Joyce, for the connection on myspace. You started something!

2 comments:

  1. It's funny - I refuse to do facebook and myspace for the same reason - I don't want anyone to find me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. FB is painless and easy, and I only add the people I know or knew pretty well as friends. I'm having a good time with it, but just recently I learned that when a friend tags you in a photo, it shows up on your "wall" for everyone to see, whether it's a flattering pic or not. Thank God I never pulled one of those Girls Gone Wild stunts on Spring Break!

    ReplyDelete