Sunday, November 30, 2008

Nightmares don't always come true


I had a bad dream last night. A garden gnome was trying to hack his way through the sliding glass door and attack the dog. Hmmmm. I can't quite wrap my brain around what Freud would say about "attacked by garden gnome".

The other recent nightmare seems much more scary in the light of day. I have been having dreams about being in a homeless shelter with my kids. It really, truly would be the worst case scenario in my already chaos riddled life. I know it's not going to happen, but it haunts me as I look for a second job and a place to live that will take me, my small income, my 2 teenagers and a pit bull. Good lord, what have I done?

So, today's notes from my dearest sister-I-picked, RK, along with her own post about me (which did, indeed, make me cry) were perfect timing. She guaranteed me over coffee yesterday that I would NEVER be homeless - that she wouldn't allow it. That was the absolutely, positively, unbelievably kindest thing anyone has ever said to me. Ever. And I believe it.

So, with the month of December looming large and many, many not good things occurring as I enter that month, I will remember the kindness of friends who are like family, the kindness of strangers, but mostly the feeling of family I get from my few and rare friends who are stuck with me forever. Thanks, guys. Time to pack. Now where did I put that garden gnome...?

4 comments:

  1. OMG - everything else aside, a garden knome!! I have one that's about 2" tall if you ever need a security guard ;) He currently resides in my plant.

    Seriously...2009 will be here soon and it will be SO much better for you! I promise. Statistically, this is true.

    XO RK

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have known RK for just about 10 years now (which doesn't seem possible--'older' people are supposed to know people for over 10 years) and she really is a great person and a good friend. :)

    So, I droppin a line and saying that other people are pulling for you too! Yee-haw!

    MIKE D (just ask RK about me--I'm really an ok guy)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Things will be better in 2009. And you and our children will never be homeless...I guarentee it and back it with my paycheck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On the bright side...any opportunity, whether from dreams or just random sightings, any opportunity to reference garden gnomes must be viewed on some level as a positive.

    In a more serious vein, best wishes for a better '09

    ReplyDelete