Tuesday, December 2, 2008

new days

Some mornings, in a previous life, I used to wake up at 6am, raring to go, with my to do list written, my day planned to the moment and that feeling of power that makes a crazy person say "watch out world, get out of my way!"

Now, it seems to be a rare occasion for me to wake up and not immediately put my head back under the covers, wishing 2008 would just go away, already.

But does a bad year like this one really end on December 31st? Is that magic midnight hour really life-changing?

Here's a thought for all of you out there... if today is all I have, and I need to not look forward to anything other than what I have now, why get out of bed? And no, Makers Mark is not a good answer to that question...

I used to always look forward to New Years Eve, when I was young. The night was full of magic and possibilities. I used to wish I had a date (and never actually did) that would kiss me at midnight and make some kind of mystical beginning with a fresh set of expectations. I'd watch all the action from the sidelines, wishing someone was looking across the floor, waiting for the stroke of 12, and making sure he kept an eye on me so he wouldn't miss out.

Maybe this year it will be more fulfilling than in years past. Maybe all the things I need to do over the next 4 weeks will all be done on time (fingers crossed) and to a better resolution that I expect (please, universe, make it so!) and we'll have a lot more than just silliness to celebrate. Maybe there will be a kiss at midnight. Because its about time this morose and dark hearted girl has a little celebration.

Here's to a new home, a new beginning, new opportunities and a New Year full of hope.

4 comments:

  1. What is Makers Mark?

    A new calendar year always equals a fresh start in my book. Here's to 2009! And I have a fat gray cat who'd love to kiss you on New Year's Eve :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Girl..how can I get a copy of your book
    The Elf Who Lost His Cookies
    please with brown sugar..
    jezziemn@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll post it here after I scan it. It'll be my Christmas gift to all of you!!

    It's going to SNOW in Portland this weekend. Hooray!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes yes, I want a copy of that book too!!

    ReplyDelete