Thursday, October 23, 2008

The family zoo

In a fun conversation this morning, the subject of pets came up. You know, first pets, favorite pets. And it made me realize that I've had a zooful over the 40 years I've called this earth home.

Pongo the dalmation: We had pongo because my aunt and uncle couldn't or wouldn't keep him - I can't remember. But I do remember that he had the WORST gas - we used to follow him through the house with a spray can. He wasn't long for our family - he kept escaping and traveling the 20 or so blocks to his real home.

Lady: My mom decided when I was in 3rd grade that she wanted a dog, and she wanted a beagle. We did research, she found a breeder and off we trekked to deepest, darkest 185th avenue in Hillsboro. I thought it took 2 hours to drive there. We ended up living further out at one point -perspective is everything! The old Tanasborne Mall was there at the time with those strange things that looked like they belonged on a ship. She was 8 weeks old and completely beautiful, started the love affair with the breed that I've had ever since. Even now, with Greg (who needs a good home - anyone? Cute beagle? Free? I need to get him out of this basement!!)

Tiger: My best cat ever, tiger was an orange striped tabby with attitude. He slept on my pillow and spent way too much time trying to eat my variety of pet rodents (see below) with no luck. He wasn't the brightest bulb in the box - but he was sweet and he kept our yard free from the possums that were taking over the neighborhood at that time in the 70s.

Gerbils, Hamsters, and Rats, oh my!: I loved having creatures in a glass case to keep me company. My therapist would probably tell you I have abandonment issues, so it may come as a surprise that these things die faster than the batteries in my garage door opener. The gerbils ha no names - but I'll always remember my brother Tom stepping on one and squishing it when it had escaped. He was always a little - um - "In his own world". And then there's the slew of hamsters and guinea pigs. The first hamster, and my fondest memory, was Isaac Knowhow Newton Junior. I bought him and his cage with babysitting money. I loved that stupid critter. Taught the dog to let it crawl all over her and she did. She was never aggressive. I have completely blanked out how he died, but I remember being so sad and having a nice little memorial service for him.

Which brings us to Abercrombie the rat. My sophomore year at Madison, we had a pet python in science class. You now, a gigantic snake that eats rodents. They used to order mice and rats to feed it. I couldn't stand to watch it digesting another giant lump in its belly for days. I stole a rat, left a ransom note and kept him hidden in my pocket for 3 days. Did you know you can potty train a rat? I did it. I would let it out for bathroom breaks in the trees outside, where the stoners hung out. They thought I was god-like, hanging on to the rat and not getting caught.

But all good things must come to an end. My dad discovered the rat in my pocket as I was coming through the front door. Thank goodness, I get his animal loving genes and he said I could keep him. He wrote a note to the science teacher and paid for more snake food, which I still opposed, and we had Abercrombie for more than 3 years. He finally died of old age, sleeping in my pocket one afternoon at school. The entire class had a memorial service. We had pie.

So, of course, I've had pets as an adult. Atilla the cat lived to be more than 20. Atticus lived to be 21. Audrey was a lab mix that hated me (the first and last dog with that particular issue) and I think it was because she wanted my husband for her own. Damn dog. I added a puppy to the mix and ended up giving up on the whole zoo because on of them bit Sean and I couldn't deal with the chaos. I seem to be good at making bad choices about pets and other relationships.

Then came Rosie. She was a mess - came home from the pound with fleas, filth and ear infections. She had this beautiful white coat and we thought she was dirty grey. I don't think she ever could hear very well. She was sweet and kind and gentle - I used to have to drag her to go out if it were raining. The kids joked that she had a 5-foot leash and would never leave my side. A rock star of a rescue, if I do say so myself.

So, when things in my life got rocky, I decided to add another dog. Jessie the german shepherd/basenji mix came home at 5 weeks. From one of those stores that should never be selling puppies. Puppy mill. She had issues from day one - was very sick, had to be kept away from other dogs altogether for 8 weeks. Socializing her with dogs was impossible. Once we'd bonded with her, though, she was terribly loyal to us. She never liked new people and would bark and growl at men - especially men with dog fear - and having her was challenging. But she had awesome qualities, too. She kept me company when I was sad, was Sara's support when she was sad and did a bang up job of keeping us sane when Rosie died in 2006. Then she got sick and we very quickly lost the battle with the massive internal bleeding she suffered. She died right after memorial day.

I knew I would never get another dog, losing them just hurt too much. Maybe going through that time helped me with some of the other grief in my life. Struggles - with work, relationships and kids. A feeling of loneliness that came through when I finally had to spend so much time alone. Within a few weeks I realized it had all happened when it did, for a reason.

And I found Ezmond. On a lark, I'd been watching ondemand pet adoption channel (danger! danger!) and I was looking for inspiration. Besides, it was fun to daydream about all these different breeds. I found out about Family Dogs New Life, a no-kill shelter in Portland that is phenomenal. Really, really cool people and a bunch of dogs that couldn't make it at regular shelters. I went by to check the place out, met a couple dogs, and left feeling like it was a place I'd be happy to support. I started looking on their web site.

I was looking for another Rosie. A sweetie with a heart of gold, low maintenance, good company. What I found, instead, was myself going back, again and again, to this picture of a beautiful, slightly goofy looking PIT BULL. I thought I'd lost my mind.

When I finally made it back to the shelter, it was to see another dog. But the other dog just didn't do anything for me, so I was about to leave. I asked about Ezmond, the pit bull, and immediately was introduced to THE most anti-social, food motivated and stressed out mess you've ever seen. Did I tell you I have a therapist for a reason?????..... And I was madly in love. I walked him and he walked like a dream but had a horrible pinch collar that made me sad. I swore that if I did this, I'd teach him to walk without it, make sure he did everything I wanted without food, and I left for the day.

I thought about it for a whole week. Part of me wanted someone else to take him. I went back with Sean and Sara late one afternoon to meet him. Sara made eye contact with him and he actually acknowledged her. Put his head in her lap (she was in the midst of a major anxiety attack) and licked her face. He kind of ignored Sean, but that was alright by him. I walked him again, this time with cheese in my pocket. He did everything I wanted and didn't so much as pull. And he looked so cute - all 70 pounds of him.

So yes, the following Saturday I went to the shelter and they had SAVED HIM FOR ME. Someone had come in to look at him and they'd told them no, that he was already taken. They knew even before I did. Smart people.

So Ezmond is my soul mate in a 4 legged, smelly terrier. I walk him for at east an hour a day (that's for the almost 20 pounds I've lost, Ez!) I nap on the floor with him. I kick him off the bed (he likes to crawl under the covers but is not invited) and I listen to him sigh this big happy, contented sigh.

Now, I look forward to the day when my latest mistake - Greg the Beagle - finds a new home and we can get back to a relaxed and comfortable house, without gates and double walks and a poor Beagle who hardly sees the light of day. Beagle for sale....

1 comment:

  1. I love the story about you smuggling out the rat for ransom! I dated a guy who had a snake once, and I asked him how he fed it these poor little mice. He said, "I try to imagine they've been Hitler in a former life." No kidding! I suppose now it's not a complete shock that he offed himself a few years later.

    ReplyDelete