Wednesday, October 29, 2008

10 things I know about you

Hello. Have you ever received one of those silly email quizzes that asks you these supposed personal questions (favorite color? movie? ice cream?) and actually answered them? As I've had more time on my hands of late, I've answered a couple. The funniest one was a simple ten questions but you had to push random shuffle on your iPod to find the answer. I did it, it was silly and I moved on to other things. (By the way: Red, Princess Bride, Vanilla)

But something really interesting happened later that afternoon. I started thinking of the stages of my life as the songs I loved at the time.

Childhood
As a young kid, I loved this album my music teacher used to play "Free to be You and Me" (ok 80s geeks, name that male vocalist and you win a Starbucks ;-) We sang it all the time. It was about diversity. But I loved it that the lead female sang alto, like me, and I didn't feel inferior when I sang along. It began a lifelong love affair with singing.

Teenager
My tastes varied and changed so frequently, it's hard to pin this one down. I might just have to allow myself two. First, it was The Beatles - specifically "When I'm 64". Even at 12, the idea of a love that lasts a lifetime was really cool. Later, my tastes swung toward the punk and wave bands. But a special favorite - that I still listen to today when I'm feeling gloomy - is The Ramones "I Want to Be Sedated". Gotta love that Joey.

20-something
It started out pretty quiet. I was into more mature music - KINK instead of Z100. I listened to a lot of Bowie. But it was "Psycho Killer" - that uniquely Talking Heads ballad about all things twisted - that I loved. I got to see David Byrne perform it live. It was good.

Wedding Day 1992
How can you beat the song they play when you marry your hearts desire? "Moments in Love" by Art of Noise.

Late 20s
The musical playlist changed when Sara came along and I was 25. The most memorable song was the musical theme song to a tv show from Canada called Kitty Cats. Barely 20 seconds long, I'd play it and she'd whip around, start to bob in place (almost always chewing on the remote control. Oh, the drool) and be mesmerized. With Sean, a couple years later, it was Itsy Bitsy Spider. I have the most vivid picture in my mind of him, sitting on a toddler bed, trying to figure out how to mimic my finger movements. Wearing yellow footie pajamas and smelling like Johnson's Baby Shampoo. Tugs at my heartstrings.

30
Big birthdays are to be avoided, I've decided. Thirty was hard. My father in law, whom I adored, died 4 days before my birthday. We were smack dab in the midst of the chaos of funerals, out of town guests and grief and I wanted no part in any celebration. But my family pulled it off anyway. Our Seattle crew was already here and had never celebrated with me before. They made it such a party. Then, after a few drinks had flowed, a little silliness ensued. The room got quiet. Uncle John and Cousin Brian broke out into song - mimicking a movie I still have not had the heart to watch, knowing it will reduce me to tears (My Best Friend's Wedding). Yes, you poor people, I'm going to have to type the words. "I Say a Little Prayer for You". It was phenomenal. I hope I didn't give you a horrifyingly odd song loop that just won't leave your head.

40
Now, for the present. I have over 200 songs on my iPod (I'd have more but I have a little one). On any given day, any number of those might seem like my favorite. But with everything that I'm becoming as I move through this life, I have to settle on Dave Matthews Band's "So Much to Say". My hell is a closet I'm stuck inside.... can't see the light. And my heaven is a nice house in the sky - got central heating and I'm alright.

Moving forward, I think I'll try to find myself a nice little happy song. Say a little prayer for me, would you?

1 comment:

  1. The only song I have ever sang at the top of my lungs with friends was that one from Benny and Joon - "I would walk 500 miles" - I haven't liked a song so much before or since :)

    ReplyDelete