Thursday, May 29, 2008

Starting to hate Tuesdays
















Wednesday has always been my day. Lucky Wednesday Girl used to be my nickname. Good things seem to happen for me on Wednesday.

Tuesdays, now, are a completely different story. I've been fired from jobs on Tuesday - twice. I told someone I was leaving him - on a Tuesday. My dog, Rosie, died in 2006 - on a Tuesday. Now, Jessie, my best dog ever and constant companion of late, was very, very ill. She died on Tuesday.


I admit it - I'm superstitious. Very superstitious. Won't walk under ladders, never let a black cat cross my path. I throw salt over my shoulder if it spills on the table. But not pepper. That's totally different.


I can't even begin to describe how empty my life feels without her. She was my best friend. I'd sit in this office, sending off the 20th resume of the week, and she'd occasionally roll over and sigh, because I was taking too long to get done and she wanted her WALK, dammit! Then, I'd go upstairs and put on my converse. She'd bolt to the kitchen door, waiting and wiggling her rear end, knowing the jingle of the leash would be heard any second now. And boy did she love to walk! She NEVER got tired, no matter how far I went.


I'll never find another dog like her. Not a chance. She used to meet me at the door with her "yodel" and her entire body wiggling. I miss that. I miss the nose on my knee when I'm sad (like now). I miss her face at the window when I drive up. I totally miss her barking when the doorbell rings.


There won't be a new dog in my life for a while, but I'm a dog person and some day I'll find another one. I think when I'm ready, I'll pick him or her up on a Tuesday.



1 comment:

  1. Sorry chickie! There will be lots of good things on your way, I promise - it's the law of the universe (balance.) And you've already had your share of the fucked up stuff.

    ReplyDelete